1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

This Year, Tony Geary Regrets Leaving

By May 28, 2009

Tue May 19 21:56:07 2009

Though his contract allows for a substantial yearly vacation, Tony Geary (Luke Spencer) wasn't all that anxious to leave General Hospital this time around.

The actor has stated that he's having one of the best times he's ever had on the show and loving the storyline.

Geary campaigned to have Ethan be his son and not Robert Scorpio's - it's unclear when the real story will be revealed, since Holly is a known liar and also may have been paid off by Tracy. Geary may, however, have convinced the writers that Ethan is his, in which case, he has the storyline he requested.

A multiple Daytime Emmy Award winner for his role on GH, Geary filmed scenes in advance of leaving; he returns in September.

Photo: Ron Tom/American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

May 28, 2009 at 5:11 pm
(1) Debi says:

Let Luke Leave.

May 28, 2009 at 5:43 pm
(2) j.j. says:

and hopefully this storyline will follow him.

May 28, 2009 at 6:57 pm
(3) Debi says:

WHAT storyline?? Is he in a storyline right now?? lol

May 29, 2009 at 2:39 am
(4) Ramondo (Scottsdale AZ) says:

He was nominated for best actor and my thoughts are what body of work did he do to get nominated? He has taken one of the best characters ever in daytime soaps and turned it into a joke!!!

May 29, 2009 at 3:04 am
(5) Cat says:

He doesn’t “want” to leave?! Then why go? This whole thing with Ethan and Luke has annoyed me. Why give another son to Luke, who ignores the children he already has. Why give more story to Tony Geary, who a) around for about six or seven months out of the year, and b) when he is around, all Luke does is drink at the bar and make snarky comments to his wife and kids.

Meanwhile, they could have used Ethan to add to the Scorpio family, or they could have tabled Ethan altogether.

I agree with the other posters about Tony Geary being nominated for an Emmy. Luke has not had emmy-worthy story. Maurice Benard is the lead male actor on GH. Maurice, Steve Burton, Tyler Christopher, and Ingo Rademacher have all had much, much more screen time then Tony Geary. I think we even saw more of Jerry Jacks!

May 29, 2009 at 9:43 pm
(6) meroko says:

can he leave forever? that would be nice!

May 30, 2009 at 12:41 am
(7) Barb says:

Is there any reason to believe a word that the “English Rose” says? Whatever people think, we have no evidence until a DNA test is taken which Tracy, Holly, Edward et al don’t mess up.

Right now, Ethan could still be a stranger who reminded Holly of a younger Luke… and then she thought up a scam on it because he was adopted.

May 30, 2009 at 10:00 am
(8) Debi says:

I am under the impression, what AG wants, AG gets. That said, didn’t he want to be Papa to Marble Mouth??
Which, brings me to another question. Why is AG so important to the show??
Can someone fill me in on his last great storyline? One where he wasn’t stealing, belching, drunk, or on one of his stupid “adventures”.

Thoughts???

May 30, 2009 at 5:02 pm
(9) meroko says:

They treat AG like he is a king. when their is better actors on this show who deserve stuff that don’t get anything which i think is b/s. Also i read an article in one of those soap mags and AG dissed his own fans saying fans should be mad at how lucky treats luke not how luke treats lucky. AG is an jerk for saying that and i hope he does not get the reward this year. there are better actors out there who deserve this word like some on OLTL!

May 31, 2009 at 2:17 am
(10) cat says:

Debi, I can’t think of the last time Luke Spencer was involved in a real storyline. Even his cardiac troubles were treated rather trivially. We were treated to a tedium of scenes, on Christmas no less, of Luke’s visions of heaven and his attempt to sing “My Way.”

This is not to say that I don’t admire Tony Geary…he has done spectacular work in the past; I remember a scene when Lucky had “died” and Luke looked in on Laura, who had had a breakdown and was in the psych ward. All Luke did was look at her, and that expression spoke volumes about his own grief, the agony he felt at seeing Laura in that state, and his frustration that he could not do anything to help her deal with this tragedy (they had be seperated at the time).

That being said, Luke hasn’t played anything but the snarky drunk for a long while. And now, Guza has tweaked the history to create this gulf between Luke and Lucky. Luke would grouse about how his “cowboy” had become a cop, and in the next breath express pride about how his son had become his own man. Now, all of a sudden, he’s acting like Lucky has let him down. And, to rub salt in the would, he wants to play Daddy to Ethan?

Oh, and we the loyal viewers of Luke and Laura are supposed to believe that he would cheat on his “angel.” Sorry, no. Luke has many flaws, but he has always been faithful to Laura while they were together.

Thanks for reading my rant…it’s just that with all the budget woes in soaps today, the powers that be should cut their losses with a character that isn’t going anywhere, in large part because the actor is never around to write extended storlines form him. Meanwhile, Ric Hearst is let go!!!!

May 31, 2009 at 8:54 am
(11) Debi says:

Cat-I couldn’t agree more with your post about AG. I was never a fan of his. Even when he was married to Laura. I was one of the few who always wanted her with Scottie. Luke had his “moments” on the air, but so did many, many other actors who have been overlooked for years.

I can’t say much about him and Ethan, as I FF thru that storyline. Ethan is a loser, which is why Luke adores him so.

There are many here who LOVE AG. I just wish someone would point out to me what there is to love about him.

May 31, 2009 at 4:17 pm
(12) Barb says:

I admit I like the Luke/Marblemouth story. Given Luke’s behavior, he should have at least a few other illegitimate kids out there.

However, I’m not convinced that Holly is telling the truth. She’s just saying what she thinks will gain her an advantage.

I also did enjoy the heart attack story. I would have liked Luke to get another heart attack when Laura woke up. She could have been disoriented and unable to help, while Tracy saved the day. It would have made Laura going off with Scotty in the end sit better with me.

I’m not concerned that Laura is in Paris and nobody is worried about her. It’s one thing for her to be in medical state just there, it’s another for her to chose to leave. I’m a TRUSTS AND ESTATES

May 31, 2009 at 4:21 pm
(13) Barb says:

Opps, didn’t mean to hit the Say it button!

Anyway, I’m a Trusts and Estates lawyer, and one of the most common comments I get from survivors of Altheimer’s victims is that they feel guilty that they do not feel a loss. They were weighed down with responsibility which was lifted from them, and they are relieved. I would expect Lucky, Lulu, Nick, and Luke all to feel that way, but not talk about it. And now that Laura is awake and in control of her life, the fact that she leaves probably would relieve any sense of guilt.

I find that behavior quite normal. And given the fact that so much had changed while she was unwell, her choice to hit the reset button and go back to her childhood sweetheart, who wanted nothing more than to have her, seemed quite right to me.

I’m not a big romantic.

May 31, 2009 at 5:28 pm
(14) Debi says:

I am not a romantic either, however, I can’t for a second believe Laura isn’t being mentioned. Last we saw of her she was on Scott’s jet.
Was she reconciling with him?? Or did she start her own company in Paris??
She did better alone than with Luke the loser.
Does she call her children since she has been out of their lives for so long??

Little things like that I think would be nice to mention to us viewers. Considering Laura was such a huge part of GH for so many years.

June 1, 2009 at 6:12 pm
(15) ellen carter says:

PLEASE DONT BRING BACK HELENA

June 3, 2009 at 2:21 pm
(16) Brenda Yancer says:

Luke leaves but, like a bad penny, he comes back. I just hope that his attitude and appearances will change for the better. Hasn’t anyone ever told him the earth just doesn’t revolve around him alone?????

August 6, 2009 at 7:03 am
(17) pris says:

Tony Geary should be gracious and unselfish and allow Nathan to be Robert’s son. GH has been a gold mine for him, and, as such, should be appreciative enough to help the show alone. It would make better sense, and, needless to say, help the show’s rating if Nathan were Robert and Holly’s son.

September 3, 2009 at 8:00 pm
(18) tonia says:

I am so thankful Tony Geary did NOT win for Best Actor. He shouldn’t even have been nominated. He mostly just stood behind the bar and poured himself lots of drinks in every scene except for when he was praising his long lost son, Ethan. That storyline was a failure and so is Luke. Luke needs to retire–his scenes are BORING. Better get Genie Francis back to give his old self some reason to stay on canvas. Otherwise, take a permanent vacation.

July 30, 2010 at 11:01 am
(19) Carter says:

The best actor on the show is by FAR Tony Geary. A lame storyline does not mean a lame actor. Personally I’d have fun watching him in a paper bag, and when his storylines are silly, I totally enjoy them. He provides much needed relief from watching MB (so freaking boring) and the mob, and his annoying kids.

In addition, when AG is doing something more meaningful, he’s in a class all by himself.

February 7, 2012 at 11:41 pm
(20) lele says:

have all ways liked AG would like to see more story line with luke and sonny but some younger fans might not remember it was luke that made sonny by killing frank smith

June 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(21) mary power says:

i love luke spencer but i agree partly he comes aNd goes but thats him i wish the writters give him more of a storyline, i wish ethen would be his son too. even though i like robert too. i wish heather weber go back were she came from, other storyline can someone discover robin still alive gee,// congraduaion, gh they all winners in my opp.

July 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm
(22) Becky says:

I love Tony Geary but hate,the,Ethan storyline. Back when he,was,the real Luke Spencer he would,never have cheated on Laura. The best storlines he’s,ever had have been with genie Francis or have involved Laura. Gh needs to reunite LnL and let them shine! Surely Tony knows,he does his best work with genie and LnL are a,household name! Long live the legend of LnL!