1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

She's My Sister, My Mother, My Sister, My Mother...Monday's 'GH' is Revelatory

By January 24, 2012

Evelyn Mulwray: She's my daughter.
[Gittes slaps Evelyn]
Jake Gittes: I said I want the truth!
Evelyn Mulwray: She's my sister...
[slap]
Evelyn Mulwray: She's my daughter...
[slap]
Evelyn Mulwray: My sister, my daughter.

--Chinatown (1974)

Sonny referenced this film today while talking with Johnny, referring to it as "that Jack Nicholson thing."

Different circumstances, of course, as Johnny learns today that Claudia is not his sister after all, but his mother, and that rather than Anthony being his father, it's Gino Soleito.

Before it was acceptable to have a baby out of wedlock, it was not unusual for someone to learn that their aunt or sister was really their mother. It actually did happen to Jack Nicholson in real life, as well as singer Bobby Darin. I suspect in the case of the Zaccharas, Anthony possibly encouraged this liaison as some sort of appeasement to another mob boss. We will find out soon enough.

It was an event-filled show today, with Robin and Patrick having an emotional confrontation in an excellent scene, as well as a wedding and Sonny breaking the news to Johnny. Also, Sam and Jason go to GH for a paternity test.

You can read all about it here.

Comments

January 24, 2012 at 10:30 am
(1) debi says:

Monday’s show was EPIC. I actually re-watched 80% of it again.

The strong actors they had on did a brilliant job working their scenes. The only part of yesterday that sadden me, is the end of Jax.
I still am waiting for an email or phone # who to contact now at GH about keeping Jax on. I use to email Frons. Well he is gone, so now I need a new contact. Any ideas??

Isn’t NuKate great? I LOVE her! I would be SHOCKED to find out she isn’t bringing Sonny down!! I LOVE it!!

Johnny is really a good guy, so my heart went out to him yesterday.

Robin I have always been up & down about, however, she was AWESOME yesterday.
I wish bouncy Maggie would fall off the roof top and take LIW, Ewan, Delores with her! Hopefully soon………

And then we have the wedding, and the photos, and it was a hoot!

January 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm
(2) Barb says:

I enjoyed the episode. I also have enjoyed Maria doing a bit more off-the-cuff writing here lately. Thank you, Maria!

January 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm
(3) generalhospital says:

Well, I figure as long as we don’t know what’s happening and we can’t get the truth from ABC, I may as well call it as I see it, and give people an opportunity to be honest about their feelings – to disagree, agree, add things, or whatever. We fans are all we’ve got. You’re very sweet to write that, thank you.

January 24, 2012 at 11:05 pm
(4) Keith says:

As a longtime fan of One Life To Live I was disturbed to learn some Llanviewers will be moving to Port Charles. So, I have been watching GH and quite frankly, I don’t get it. It doesn’t make any sense to me. Who is Sonny and what does he have to do with a hospital? I want One to be brought back, but I don’t think most One fans or GH fans want the planned transfusion of transplants creating OLTL 2.0 or One General Life to Hospital?? Its a cheap gimmick to get the 3 million OLTL fans to watch GH. It happens in Feb during ratings sweeps. GH fans should be horrified that Ron Cavailti and Frank Valenti are taking over. Why fire Jill Farren Phelps, who did a great job on OLTL and replace her with 2 guys who were fired and who’s show was cancelled. Beside, it soon won’t matter, Katie Couric will take her cheerleader failed news skills to a new show that will replace GH in the fall. . ;-)

January 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(5) generalhospital says:

They won’t be on for long, and it will hopefully help GH’s ratings.

January 25, 2012 at 10:02 am
(6) debi says:

Keith if I were to start watching GH today, I wouldn’t ‘get it’ either.

LIW is off the show, with a some ‘newbies’ right behind her. So hopefully we will be getting down to the ‘root’ of GH. Lose the nonsense of Maggie, Ewan, Delores. Maybe its Delores who is attacking the dancers? Sonny is holding a benefit for HIV and a bunch of people die.

I also see Kate as taking down Sonny. For some reason, I think that is what she is up to. jmo.

From GH2
GH2 reporting-

Kristen Alderson (Starr) begins airing the week of February 20th.

During the week of February 27th, Tristan Rogers returns as Robert Scorpio and both Roger Howarth and Kassie DePaiva arrive in town as Todd and Blair Manning.

Michael Easton as John McBain shows up in March.

Be prepared for some explosive material and a mystery that will need solving (kicking off in late February or early March).

January 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm
(7) debi says:

More BAD NEWS from Michael Fairman:

DIRTY SOAP is NOT being renewed for second season!

January 26, 2012 at 4:20 pm
(8) Chasty says:

It was so bizarre to hear the Claudia was actually Johnny Zacchara’s mother instead of his sister, so I really had to do some research. It is stated that Claudia is suppose to be 34 years old and Johnny is 26 years old. How does an 8 year old have a child? ABC needs to work on this storyline.

January 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(9) generalhospital says:

Yeah, in real life they’re four years apart.

January 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm
(10) ron says:

remember folks, this is just a show they will probably make claudia sonny’s age now, since she is dead. she has been soared to around 45, since johnny is 30. remember it is only make believe, and it is a good storyline.

January 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm
(11) TLW says:

@generalhospital: On the bright side, I’ll bet Brandon Barash and Sarah Brown think it’s hysterically funny. Well, Brandon does anyway. Wonder if he calls her “mom” when he sees her now. lol

January 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm
(12) debi says:

Brandan shined last week. SHINED!

January 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm
(13) Sandy says:

this a big big mess brignign in all the refect of OLT actor to GA
how in the hell the produrece of Disney make such mess???? BAD move real bad!!!

January 31, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(14) Marvan says:

Who is LIW? And who is Delores? Please someone answer this for me.

January 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm
(15) generalhospital says:

LIW is the Lady in White, Cassandra, and Delores Padilla is the new policewoman with the PCPD. She’s currently investigating the murder of Lisa Niles and trying to find the identity of the person beating up the strippers.

January 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(16) Blinky says:

Just catching up and saw Johnny take the news about Claudia. He was brilliant. I am so thrilled that Anthony isn’t constantly in the catbird seat and that Barash has some emotional acting to sink his teeth into. Of course, I have to stop thinking about Sarah Brown in the part of his sister/mother…she’d be in the Guinness Book of World Records for youngest mom in the history of the human race otherwise. LOL!

February 20, 2012 at 6:08 pm
(17) Sherry says:

If Robin dies, it’s going to be really, really hard to hang with this show. Having watched her since she was six…it’s going to be tough to watch her die. Can’t they just write her off? I know, I know, I can hear everyone saying that it’ll creat great drama and advance a great story…but I don’t care, they don’t have to kill her. This just makes me sick.

February 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm
(18) generalhospital says:

Remember that Kimberly left before, and she’s supposed to show up alive for the finale, if there is one. I don’t know if she’s a ghost or really alive or what. I think they’re killing her because they’re assuming the show is over. Also I don’t know how they would write her not dying. If she doesn’t die and goes somewhere for treatment, Patrick and Emma go with her, and I don’t think Jason Thompson wants to lose his job. She wouldn’t go alone.

If it were me, and it’s not, I’d have her burned so badly that it would take months to recuperate, get her to the burn unit, and then have Patrick say that he was visiting her, and she’s having skin grafts, etc. That will keep her out of the way and if Kimberly wants to come back then, she can.