1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Jen Lilley Staying as Maxie; Ask Fans to 'Stop Being Hateful'

By February 14, 2012

height=

The current Maxie Jones, Jen Lilley, has announced on Twitter that she will continue on General Hospital as Maxie. This is not a surprise; when it was announced that Kirsten Storms was not returning at the expected time, this was the supposition by many.

In a "twitterlong" - longer than the usual 140 characters - Lilley has asked fans to tone down their hatred of her. She goes on to say that she is a huge fan of Storms.

Here's hoping that the fans lighten up a little. After all, this is a soap opera, not a Presidential election. And here's also hoping that Storms is okay.

Jen Lilley is an actress who auditioned to play a pivotal role because the actress playing her was ill. She doesn't deserve to be maligned because of the situation.  She deserves our support.

Photo: American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

February 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm
(1) Annette says:

I agree.

I can’t imagine a ‘fan’ of anything personally attacking an actress for taking on a role. But then again, this is a crazy world that we live in.

Jen has done a wonderful job and I enjoy her Maxie very much. So much so that I find a new depth to her Maxie and see her Maxie different than Kirsten’s. Not better or worse, just different and I enjoy the performance.

I love Kirsten Storm’s as an actress. I hope we’ll see her again soon. Either on GH or another show, but obviously her health has to take center stage for now.

I wish Kirsten Storms well and hope we will see her again soon.

In the meantime…to all the haters out there: Seriously, people … grow up, lighten up, and treat Jen Lilley with respect. Would you want your sister, girlfriend, wife, best friend, etc to be on the receiving end of that crap? I doubt it. And for doing her job well?

It’s insulting to human kind and to the genre we supposedly love.

February 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(2) Cyn says:

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly. I like Jen Lilley and think she is doing an excellent job! She has her own persona and it is mean of people to be so critical of her. Of course she is not Kirsten Storms but give her credit for doing her best to bring what she can to the role. I think she is a lovely young woman and a terrific actress. I hope Kirsten recovers and is well enoug to return to GH.
All the best to both of these fine young actresses!

February 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm
(3) J.J. says:

General Hospital decided to hire Jen Lilley as a recast for Maxie and therefore should not be penalized and of course not have to endure “hateful” remarks/comments.

HOWEVER, I do not like her in the role of Maxie. I wish the show would just write the character off the canvas until/if Kirsten Storms can return. IMO unless Kirsten is playing the role the character can take a backseat. Let’s be honest, her storyline w/ Matt and Spinelli can be wrapped up quite easily as the entire plot is just silly. I’m also not invested in Maxie as she is portrayed by JL. She seems like a completely different character to me and I cannot connect to her.

Kate should send Maxie to Paris to help launch a CRIMSON office there.

I don’t intend my comments to be mean spirited in any way at all. I understand recasts are part of the soap opera experience. Another part of the experience is how the actors get you to connect and invest in the characters they portray. This recast is awkward the same way the portrayal of Carly by Jennifer Bransford was a poor fit. Maxie and Kirsten are a huge part of GH for me and one of the many reasons I love the show. IDK if I would have accepted anyone else in the part other than KS.

I would also like to add that w/ GH on shakey ground as it is, this recast is not helping.

February 15, 2012 at 5:09 am
(4) Laura says:

Maxi has never been a favorite of mine. I actually can’t stand that character. But I have to say that Jen Lilley is so much more whiny and annoying. I can’t even watch Maxi now without having to pause and fast forward through her scenes. I get the idea that her big pout eyes are what works (because there is no argument, the girl is gorgeous!) but it isn’t working for fans. Make Maxi your own and stop trying to play to Kristen Storms character. Replacements work but you need to be yourself.

February 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(5) ron says:

I like Jen as Maxie and think that she is doing an excellent job in the role. I had a feeling they would keep her since she brings so much more to Maxie. I wish people would stop being so hateful towards her. She is an excellent actress.

February 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm
(6) Hallie says:

I think it is riddiculus to harrass an actress for taking over and nobody should be treated like that for any reason but i do have to say i am not a huge fan of hers usually i find myself ff her scene. I not sure what is going on with kristin storm and hope she get well enough to return. I just can’t get into her interpretation of maxie. Maxie has always been a self involved character but for me she took the corky self distructive character who had moments that we rooted for to spoiled and annoying. To be honest watching her makes me want to stop watching i am just greatful there are other characters but i wouldn’t go harrassing anyone if people don’t like her just don’t watch her scene but i also don’t agree with her statement about her stepping in was to save gh becaus i highly doubt the maxie character will make or break gh,

February 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm
(7) debi says:

I like original Maxie. She made that her part in a character.
NOT saying Jen is doing a bad job, because she isn’t.

I also want to say, with Kristine Wagner’s comments on FB about returning to GH, I can’t help but wonder if KS is hitting her head against the wall right about now. lol

February 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm
(8) lizouttavegas says:

I loved, and miss Kristen Storms, but the new Maxie IS too whiney..she should complain to the writers…the lines she’s given are what is making fans not like her….and the storyline about her hatred of LIz is silly, since she cheated w/Lucky and gave him pills! I feel sorry for the girl who has to replace KS, she was very well liked…they havent allowed anyone time to get to like this Maxie before making her a witch!
jmo.

February 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm
(9) debi says:

Liz is that you?? From the board??

February 20, 2012 at 8:48 am
(10) debi says:

Kirstin Storms:

You will be missed and you are a star. Please give an interview soon and tell us what is going on with you-whatever it is we all LOVE AND SUPPORT YOU! Be a spokesperson for whatever this is-even if it is not endometriosis- we will understand. Let people pray for you in a specific manner. Do not ever be afraid of speaking out as YOUR voice means so much to so many. Please continue to heal and know that your fans await whatever you do next as long as it brings you peace and happiness

February 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(11) Sisjoann says:

I don’t hate her but she is no way near our Maxie. I use to look forward to her spots, not now. She is not a good actress and has no chemistry with Spinelli at all. I feel sad that Kristen Storm is not coming back. It is very sad.

Sorry Jen. Not to be mean but this is not your roll.

February 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm
(12) Sherry says:

We are surrounded by idiots and anyone who would be so mean and cruel to an actress who just stepped into a role is not a ‘fan’…and they need to just keep their big mouths shut. I think our Mom’s taught us that when we were five!

February 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm
(13) jaxlenia says:

I hope Kristen Storms gets better and I wish her the best. As to the “Maxie” character, I can’t wait until GH delves into the storyline as to the cause of “Robin’s” demise. “Maxie” was so selfishly thinking about herself and her own problems that she couldn’t stop interrupting Robin from concentrating on finding a treatment for Jason. In “Maxie’s” haste and excitement, she hit a lever that broke off and caused the fumes to escape.

February 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm
(14) MrsTad says:

I know what i like and it is not her as Maxie, she is very annoying and i hope we get our REAL Maxie back soon. I am not trying to be mean, but she is not good at Maxie, she makes Maxie unlikeable. Just my opinion.

February 20, 2012 at 7:21 pm
(15) audrey says:

bring back kristen storms!

February 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm
(16) Lorie says:

Aww I think Jen is doing a good job. Its no ones fault Kirsten got sick, but Jen is a really cute girl just trying her best. Maxie’s role is annoying so if Jen is annoying you then I guess she’s doing her job right.

February 21, 2012 at 1:48 am
(17) Beverly says:

I don’t like Jen in the roll of maxie, she does’t even come close to Maxie, not her voice or jestures.

February 21, 2012 at 10:14 am
(18) debi says:

Though I prefer KS over this Maxie, I think Jen does a great job as a replacement.

I have to wonder if KS is coming back. This may be as good as it gets.

I have to wonder, why she was gone so long, then she reported she would be back thru twitter, then we learned she would not be back.
And why hasn’t her publicist made a statement? I find it almost unprofessional.

February 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm
(19) Dave says:

Although Kirsten originated the role of Maxie. The fans miss Kirsten and wish her the best. We should give Jen a break as the new Maxie. Being a fellow actor, the lines of study and hours working on a soap are tough! How come any of GH’s female fans didn’t try out for the part of Maxie if they though they could have performed better?…not trying to be sarchatic, just stating a fact.

February 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm
(20) ron says:

there were several Maxies. Kristen did not originate the character.

February 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm
(21) princessdy says:

I miss Kirsten Storms. But Jen is growing on me. I thought on Friday that even if “Kirsten never came back, I could get used to her. She’s doing a pretty good job.”

However awesome an actress she is, her whininess does need to be toned down. It comes off on the screen as obnoxious, in a way that Kirsten never communicated. Screen writers keep in mind that the character of Maxie needs to be written to suit the actress in some regards, and this is a perfect example of that. Tone down the whininess factor and I guarantee that the fans of GH and Maxie will rally behind the new spoiled princess of port charles! Best of Luck to both Kirsten and Jen!

February 21, 2012 at 9:45 pm
(22) Peggy says:

I don’t hate her at all. I suspect that KS had her time off and decided that she liked being away from the daily taping and everything that goes with it and figured since Jen was in place, it was a good time to leave. I doubt she will ever come back. As for Jen, she does have a nasal voice so she does come across as whiny. As far as playing the part, she IS Maxie now, like it or not. I don’t completely blame the writers for her whining. Other actresses have been in similar situations and handled it by becoming obstinate or angry, not whiny. Maybe she has it in her power to read the lines as a strong woman instead of a weak whiner. At any rate, I don’t hate her, I don’t ff her scenes. I am sorry that she feels so much disapproval.

February 22, 2012 at 7:41 am
(23) debi says:

I don’t think KS is ever coming back.
However, her face is still in opening credits.

I was almost hoping her & Spinelli would BOTH hit the road together. However, IF there is truth to Frisco coming back, would they have her leave?

February 22, 2012 at 11:51 am
(24) redhead says:

I don’t like the new Maxi…you should have written off the old Maxie till she was able to return to her role

February 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm
(25) generalhospital says:

They were unable to do that because Kirsten left without a lot of notice, and these story arcs are planned in advance.

February 22, 2012 at 11:56 am
(26) deb says:

Any updates on when Spinelli leaves? Or how?

February 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm
(27) generalhospital says:

haven’t heard anything about that.

February 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm
(28) omg says:

It’s not personal- don’t like the way she plays the character- too whiny and dramatic- yes, i know Maxie is both but this girl’s voice makes it unbearable. Wish her a long and successful career but will now have to continue to fast forward thru the Maxie parts :-(

February 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm
(29) Sheila Monroe says:

I just wanted to know what happened to Kristen Storms. She hasn’t been on GH for months. I miss seeing her as Maxie. She’s a great actress. I sure hope she gets well soon and comes back as soon as she can. Although the actress playing her is doing ok I would still like to see Kristen back as Maxie.

February 25, 2012 at 9:42 am
(30) debi says:

I would like to know about KS as well.
Imo it isn’t the smartest move on her or her agent’s part to not be making statements.
Remember, she dropped out of her night time soap too.

I just want to say, whatever KS is going thru, I wish her a fast recovery so she can move on with her life.

March 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm
(31) Mira says:

Still really missing KS over here! I’m sorry JL feels that fans don’t like her, but it’s not personal. It’s her acting that’s been a disappointment, and she needs to understand that part of working in the arts is accepting the audience’s right to analyze and critique your performance.

Maxie has always been written as a self-centered, manipulative, sometimes bitchy character, but KS found a way to soften those sides of Maxie by adding layers to her dialogue. Underneath the arrogance and the pushiness and the snark, you knew she had a conscience and a heart. KS even found a way to make a lot of her antics come off as cute–just Maxie being Maxie.

Unfortunately, JL’s delivery is one-dimensional and doesn’t convey that kind of depth. I often catch myself repeating her lines as KS might have said them and thinking how much more sympathetic they sound when read that way. Lately, the writers have been trying to redeem Maxie with this silly plot about how she tries to punish herself with a false murder confession. But what they’re really trying to do is compensate for JL’s inability to make Maxie likable without such plot devices. I actually find the character so annoying now that I usually change the channel when she’s on.

I’ll never stop hoping that KS will return as Maxie. I know nothing about JL as a person, so I don’t have any issue with her, and maybe she would be a good actress in another role. But she’s not a good fit for this one, and like any consumer of entertainment, I have the right to my opinion about it.

May 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm
(32) mimi says:

Kirsten Storms has always been my favorite actress since I saw her on days of our lives as Bell with Jason Cook as Sean they have great chemistry together so I was glad when they put Maxi and Matt together I knew it would work. Now they have the new Jenn as Maxi she is OK but needs to evolve better her and Matt aren’t good together no.chemistry at all maybe her and spinally are suitable from what I see. Some people just complement each other well and Kirsten and Jason always did. I am sure Jenn will continue to get better with.help.
Kirsten Storms get better soon and get better so we can all watch you again whether it just Bell Black on days or a come back as Maxi on General :) we love u.

May 16, 2012 at 11:31 pm
(33) generalhospital says:

Kristen is not returning to the show.

October 1, 2012 at 11:30 pm
(34) Kathylue says:

They cast the temporary replacement just fine.I could barely notice the difference. Both of them are bubbly with similar voices…It could be worse.