1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Roger Howarth Gets 'GH' Contract

By March 7, 2012

height=

It looks like Todd Manning is going to be around to make Sonny's life miserable for some time to come.

Roger Howarth has just signed a contract with General Hospital. I believe a while back, they asked Kassie DePaiva (Blair) if she was willing to stay around a little longer, so there may be a contract in the offing for her too.

With the exception of Starr (Kristen Alderson), the One Life to Live actors were to be a presence in Port Charles for a short time only. DePaiva went out of the way to tell her fans that.

If other stars from OLTL stick around, it really shouldn't come as any surprise -- after all, GH's new head writer, Ron Carvalati, know the characters well.

I love the way Blair and Todd talk over each other, and how Blair becomes so overwrought and Todd just keeps his cool. Really excellent teamwork.

Photo: American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

March 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm
(1) deb says:

Signing Todd & Blair is pure genious. Especially after both their performances on Tuesday.
2 very fine actors.
Although, I liked him today interacting with Carly. I could see them getting close.

I am sure there are haters out there who won’t appreciate the new talent. Oh well.
There is still always Sonny. Because if you think Todd is replacing Sonny, and Sonny Gotti is going to be pushed to the side, your wrong.

March 7, 2012 at 11:35 pm
(2) Barb says:

Wow! I never watched OLTL, and now I am blown away by the actors from OLTL. They are AMAZING. What a difference between these guys and the 1001 ‘new’ characters introduced to GH over the time I watched. I know all soaps go on one take, but WOW these actors nail it to the WALL in one take, you’d think you were watching a freaking 150 million dollar movie with 50 takes, not a 150 thousand dollar soap with one. Geez Louise, I have said for years that the Soap Opera Actors are the unsung heroes of the acting world, and gave James Franco a “Bravo” for realizing it and wanting to be part of that underappreciated part of the acting profession… but Geez, these OLTL actors just NAIL stuff to the freakin WALL.

March 8, 2012 at 12:04 am
(3) deb says:

That is nice to hear you say Barb. Unfortunately you are in the minority. Alot of fans are angry that Frank & Ron is doing a cross over.
YES they are very talented. I DID like Carly with Todd today!

Todd is facing a bunch of charges. Kidnapping, murder, etc..so I don’t know how he gets out of it, but I assume when he leaves he will go back to Landview and clear himself.

March 8, 2012 at 8:59 am
(4) Barb says:

Deb, please understand that I only came to GH about 10 years ago, when Charmed was in it’s last year. I was following Mr. King, and the substitute Spenser, (Greg something, I’m bad with names) from Charmed. I’m not the GH purist somebody who has watched for 40 years is. If they can save the show as a combined show, more power to them.

March 8, 2012 at 11:34 am
(5) ron says:

Will Todd be Carly’s new lover? I don’t like the Kate/Connie storyline, it should be dropped. Also it was a great idea to bring Todd and Blair to the show. Starr will be Michaels’ new sweetheart. They should bring Jack over to date Molly. That would stir things up. I am so much enjoying seeing Robert, Anna, and Holly. I hope they will offer them contracts too. It was also a great idea to have every actor appear as the first face in the opening instead of Sonny, Carly, Jason and Sam. In my opinion these four are not the stars of the show. General Hospital is taking some time, but it will get better since Ron and the gang had to clean up a ten year mess.

March 8, 2012 at 12:00 pm
(6) Annette says:

I am glad to see this Todd on GH. Congrats to him on his contract. He’s an excellent actor and honestly when he left OLTL that’s about when I stopped watching it as much. I used to love OLTL. I always loved Vicki, Dorian and Tina, and used to love Christian and his mother. For me it was more of a ‘back in the day’ show and not something I watched regularly in the current years. I have never been fond of Star or this Blair. (I have always felt like Kassie de Pavia over-acts). My husband, who doesn’t know any of the ‘politics’ behind the shows, commented immediately that both women over-acted together, that Star was believable with Michael, and that Todd is a cool.

It’s all personal choice.
You like some actors, you dislike others.
No one should be crucified for who they like or dislike.

I thought that the chemistry between Carly and Todd was pretty good and could be interesting, but I wonder why we need another bad boy rebel in town when SO many people bemoan a canvass overflowing with Jason, Johnny, Anthony, and of course, Sonny.
Why top off that list with Todd Manning?
Can any of them be redeemed?

So many argue that GH would be better if it returned to its Hospital/Quartermaine roots; adding another ‘villain’ doesn’t get them there; nor does adding another cop (John McBain) to chase those bad guys. Could we use a tough cop at GH? Yes. Why not write a tough cop out of one of the cops we have (Dante, Delores (why is she there? oh, boobs), Ronnie, Mac… any of them could be tough nose cops instead of ineffective boobs (the other kind). I wish Shawn was a tough cop (or fireman/EMT!)

I understand the desire to bring in fans from OLTL and to try to appease those folks who lost their show. I just don’t know if these plots ‘work’ per se. Why SHOW Hope & Cole. Why not have Star by herself with amnesia or something? NO DEAD BABIES!

March 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm
(7) deb says:

Barb-you are confusing me. What are you talking about? I paid you a compliment. Please don’t misinterpt something that isn’t there.

LOVED Todd & Carly scenes!! I never thought I would want her with anyone but Jax. But they worked for me yesterday. So glad he is on contract, and with the scenes Blair has been putting out, she will be on contract as well. And Jessie will be running Kates magazine soon.

Holly can leave, but why can’t Robert stay on a contract like Luke??
Part-time?

I will always respect OLTL because they weren’t afraid to show their senior actors on the show and give them storylines. I am hoping that is where Ron & Frank are going with gh.

As far as Kate/Connie, that is a storyline Ron loves. We had Tess/Jess/Bess. Liking Tess the best. Now he is doing it to Kate.
That storyline isn’t going away tomorrow. Which is fine. We lost Ethan this week, LIW last week, and Holly & Maggie soon. Does it get better?

March 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm
(8) Annette says:

Do you know – I love Kate/Connie. Kelly Sullivan is just wowing me with her incredible emotional range. She was over-the-top with Johnny and it was so great. I’d rather see Connie/Johnny together than Carly/Johnny (which I kind of liked) just because Connie is so raw emotionally and so is Johnny. Talk about a volatile connection (if not really, real).

I always loved the stories of Vicki’s alters, but wasn’t watching OLTL consistently to get into Jessica’s alter S/L. It was okay on OLTL as you can accept that its a hereditary condition and follow with that. But how many people with MP do you really ‘know’? Crimson’s board room would get awfully ‘crowded’. :)

GH had a couple of good weeks. This week has been pretty boring for me with the exception of Mac, Maxie, Anna, Robert, Connie, Johnny.
Ethen leaving was just a bummer as the actor looked so SAD.

I kind of agree on Holly. I loved her a long, long time ago. I guess the first time around. Hated the last time around and am not feeling her, yet, this time. I’d rather have Robert any day of the week. Holly could go on the lam with Ethen and I’d be so happy!

Too bad Robert followed Ethan out the door. We barely got to see him, he hardly acknowledged Mac, and I really wanted more Robert & Anna scenes.

March 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm
(9) deb says:

I LOVE Kate/Connie too. She is a great actress. Most won’t look past the fact she replaced another beloved actress. I like this one better.
We haven’t seen the last of Robert. Have we??

Glad Ethan is gone. Never cared for the character.
Buh bye Holly.

I never liked ALTER storylines. But Ron does!!
So as long as GH stays on the air, expect alter storylines to pop up.

March 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm
(10) Keith says:

As a long, long time OLTL fan, its not the same. I can’t stand to watch what frank valentini & ron carlivati have done to them. If you want to know what’s going to happen on GH, watch old One Life To Live episodes. ron and frank are plagiarizing old scripts. The car crash was done many times on OLTL with Star & Henry, John & Hugh, Mitch & Jess, and a train crash where Nora was persumed dead but Dr Colin MacIver found her. Now they have a character with Dissociative Identity Disorder or DID also known as multiple personality disorder. That was Viki Carpenter’s trademark characteristic which they copied for her daughter Jess. IMO Using it on GH totally disrespects Ericka Slezak’s 40 years on TV, OLTL, and its viewers.

March 10, 2012 at 2:07 am
(11) generalhospital says:

Well, I’d be surprised if OLTL has had as many car accidents as GH, plus we’ve had a train crash. Plus every time a woman gets pregnant, she falls down a flight of stairs.

March 9, 2012 at 7:53 am
(12) deb says:

I agree Frank & Ron are doing alot of the same storylines.
Who could blame them? Obviously people cared enough to tune in at OLTL.
They are only hoping for the same at GH.

March 9, 2012 at 8:55 am
(13) deb says:

OFF TOPIC: Maria did you see this article and what are your thoughts?

March 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm
(14) generalhospital says:

I saw that article yesterday – actually that happened to me, and I couldn’t understand it. Do I think it was a Disney conspiracy? I don’t know. I think it is possible the episode was mistagged and caused it not to record. The thing is, GH’s ratings are at an 18 week high and that was on a press release that Disney put out. So they seem happy about it. I kind of doubt a conspiracy.

March 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm
(15) Annette says:

Our box cut out twice but managed to get most of that Friday’s episode (we had two recordings listed for that date). When that happens it is usually because of a power outage or because the cable company is sending an update to the box (so says Time Warner). I wasn’t at home at that time so I can’t confirm if there was an outage however after reading the article earlier in the week it did give me cause to wonder: I’m in a major market (Los Angeles); if we have two segments entitled General Hospital, with the correct date, do ours get counted twice?

What’s to stop ABCD from fudging the numbers high (instead of low as everyone assumed) since Katie Couric now wants GH as the lead in? (which is great for us!) Maybe this gives the ‘official reason’ to finally take The Revolution off the air.

(just speculating, because I really do not know).

March 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(16) debi says:

Personally, and I may be dillusional, but I am beginning to think abc wants GH to succeed.

March 9, 2012 at 11:55 pm
(17) Michelle says:

Hi there. I used to watch One Life to Live and have been left hanging with the Todd/Victor storyline. I know he’s now on General Hospital and just wondering if anyone can fill me in on how he got out of the mess back in Llanview since Victor was seen alive in the finale of OLTL? Thanks!

March 10, 2012 at 2:59 am
(18) Reta says:

Roger Howarth is the MAN! He nailed that persona of Todd Manning many years ago and he’s still go it. Love him, love him, love him! What he brings to GH is a great blend and balance in that he can hang with the big dawgs (Quartermaine’s) when its comes to financial moguls. AND he can get down and dirty with the likes of the mob (Sonny and crew) if need be. I truly excited about the Mannings moving to GH with the exception of brat kid Jack.

Now……Starr and Michael–uh no. In my opinion, first they writers need to figure out if Michael is going to be a mobster or not and move on with his storyline. Keeping true to character, Starr would not be interested in a mobster Michael.

Cannot wait for Carly and Blair to either be girl pals or go at each other. Either way that will be a win-win situation.

Love the the idea of John McBain coming to town BUT without Natalie for an extended period the storyline will not make since given its history.

Lastly, this Kate/Connie thing is troubling me. It would make more sense for the roles to be reversed and have Connie with Sonny. In any event, I am willing to wait and see how this develops.

Until next time……….

March 10, 2012 at 9:50 am
(19) deb says:

Natalie shouldn’t come to GH. Her and Jawn aren’t married, they simply slept together AGAIN.
FRESH for John I say!

Todd..could you have died when he said COOOORENthas?? Yes I agree, Todd still has it.

Still I want to see Robin’s storyline end. They did her no justice with her death story, so lets put it to rest properly before we move on to new characters and storylines.

I happen to think Blair & Carly together is awesome, however, I love the chemistry between Todd & Carly!!

March 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(20) Jackie says:

I am really glad that the ratings are going up, its great to see the characters from OLTL again, I think theey’re been paired great with the Port Charles residents. Things do look better for the long haul, katie Couric is being absolutely helpful to keeping GH on the air 9even if the motive will be an advantage to her). Wj=hat did you think of the new opening?

March 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(21) Peyton says:

I didn’t always care for OLTL ..GH has always been my favorite! I don’t like that there will be two more characters after Sonny! We have the half crazed Todd and the dead eyed John McBain coming soo who will also be after Sonny! I say HeY wait a minuute ..don’t just gang up on my Sonny.If not for the Zacararas Sonny wouldn’t be a gangster at all. He gets blamed for everything but he actually does very little. Port Chuckles was doing just fine untilcrazy Anthony came to town and why can’t Johnny and his nutso grandaddy be noticed by yje PCPD for what they do???
Still Loving Sonny and Kate

Leigh

March 12, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(22) Carolyn H says:

I will start out by saying I have watched GH since 1969 and will continue to do so for as long as it’s on the air. That said, I am enjoying the characters from OLTL that have been brought in. I like their work and the way they are being blended in with the GH characters and storylines. If they can help keep GH on the air, that would be great and I’m all for it.

March 12, 2012 at 7:38 pm
(23) Carolyn Wolfe says:

I like the story ine’s with Blair, Todd Starr and John. I think the chemistry is great with them taking on Soony, how michael is interacting with Starr and of course Todd is always great! I was hoping to hear moe about michael easton staying on long term as John McBain. I think he will makke a welcome foil for Dante and it wouldbe nice to see him with someone else other than Natalie. I hope he stays on long term!
I like the Connie/ Kate storyline, liove Todd taking on Sonny and Blair and he would be an remarkable couple. I cannot wait to see how John McBain deals wit the GH police department and how he figures out, and I hope he does, that Todd did not kill his brother. It is not the same as haivng OLTL on the air, but it is intriguing and I am glad to see some of the characters doing their thing so well!

March 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(24) Carolyn Wolfe says:

Sorry for all of the typos everybody, I was in a hurry- Just wanted to add that I really hope that GH stays on the air!

March 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm
(25) Marlene says:

While the actors that portray Blair and Todd deliver a very good performance , I cannot say that I am impressed with the actress who portrays Starr. She is a bit over-dramatic in her delivery and her crying, in particular lacks real emotion.

I do not have any negative opinions about the OLTL/GH crossover and am in full support of whatever it takes to keep GH and all the soap opera actors working. I will continue to watch these new actors with an open mind and hopeful enthusiasm.

March 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm
(26) Marlene says:

March 13, 2012 at 6:51 am
(27) Bruinsmama says:

I never wtahced OLTL but I now have ahuge crush on this Todd Manning guy & wished I had been watching all along! Glad he is on GH now, he is SUPER HOT!

March 13, 2012 at 7:16 am
(28) Tammy says:

I would LOVE to see Todd get rid of Sonny once and for all. Sonny is boring,hopefully Jason,Michael and Kate all leave too. I would love to see Todd and Carly get together.Steve Webber and Patrick,Ewan, and Elizabeth definately need to leave,sick of them. On a happier note,I love the new theme music…much nicer and I don’t mute it like I did the other one

March 13, 2012 at 10:04 am
(29) mas says:

Great to see Roger & Cassie two “GOOD” actors,don’t care for the Connie/Kate s/l seen it a “MILLION” times on OLTL, also, Megan should be Kate,always thought Kelly was way out of her league with Maurice. I think this is a last “effort” to try to save GH, don’t see that working “UNLESS” they hire some writers with creative s/l’s try getting them from Y&R or top rated B&B. They need to let some actors go that have been around way past their time, Luke first, Dante& Olivia are not very interesting and Dante the saint is so boring, Steve needs to leave that s/l is boring, and please sendt NUKate on a trip and bring back Real Kate the one and only Megan Ward and watch the ratingsrise.

March 13, 2012 at 10:10 am
(30) loulou says:

I really don’t care for those new characters, the show was fine before them,

March 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(31) deb says:

The show was not fine before. Not by far.

March 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(32) deb says:

McBain’s Nostrils Came to Port Charles!!

Now I am confused. We in Pt Chuckles tomorrow for a funeral or we in Landview for Todd’s trial??

Sonny Gotti has 2 new BFF’s. Todd & John McNostrils!

March 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm
(33) mary austin says:

gh is really good and juicy soap like ti suppose to by that how you do a soap show keep up the good work gh we love you gouys . I can’t wait what happens next . I’m so excited

March 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(34) j. tALBOT says:

Roger Howarth, the much beloved character we *ALL* love to hate, is
so welcome to GH. Him and Carly on screen, what a kick !!!!!! We need Starr too, (Tho hated her on the other soap. ) But she and Michael,
hot sizzling chemistery too ………………………………………..
Good Luck Franco @ TRIBECA, J.

March 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm
(35) Lori says:

I am THRILLED with this news!!!! GH had gotten so boring…same storylines over & over again…… i stopped watching. But with the (much needed) addition of Roger Howarth, i am an avid viewer again.

March 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(36) tomysuesgirls@aol.com says:

I watched OLTL for many years along with Y&R, added GH much later. Like them all but this blending of so many chracters from OLTL to GH is just too much to absorb at once. Like Todd and John so much and Starr too but I can’t seem to put this puzzle togather. Hate this multiple personalities, saw so much of that on OLTL I stopped watching for quite awhile. I hope John replaces Ronnie and Starr pairs up with Michael but just can’t put Blair in ther mix. I’ve always liked Todd. I’m so tired of all the Sonny bashing, for heavens sake, give it a rest,he’s the main reason I became interested in GH enough to stay all these years. if Maurice ever leaves this show won’t recover…just be careful what you wish for.