1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Yee-hah! 'General Hospital' Renewed!

By April 11, 2012

Details to follow - but for those of you who don't troll the Internet 24/7 - General Hospital has been renewed for the foreseeable future!

Comments

April 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm
(1) Annette says:

Everyone must be out celebrating.
Truly the best info ever imparted on 4-11 ;)
YAY!!!
Twitter and Facebook have been a happy place this afternoon with posts from cast and writers!
Raising a virtual glass to you all!
cheers to GH!

April 12, 2012 at 12:50 am
(2) Barb says:

Glad you are so happy! I hope the writers live up to your hopes. I hate the ‘new Sam’. Sam would not be keeping this stuff from Jason, the story is stupid. I can’t judge the OLTL characters, but the OLTL fans have a lot of negative stuff to say about them, and it seems very on-point.

All the TV Guide, EW, and others seem to think this pick-up is for a whole year. I know the guy who was killing soaps is gone, and Katie specifically asked for GH, but Katie could tank, or their afternoon cheapie GMA in the Afternoon might get decent ratings. Unlike NBC and Fox, ABC does not already have a 24-7 news channel.

I hate to find myself suddenly the voice of pessimism, when months ago it was I who was saying to everyone else that the suits weren’t geniuses and at least ONE of their talk programs would crash and burn. At that point, people were counting on too much success.

But it’s good to remember that Katie is not guaranteed to succeed either. And I’m betting her salary alone roughly equals that of the entire GH cast. They’ll be looking for major ratings from her.

April 12, 2012 at 2:26 am
(3) generalhospital says:

Well, GH won’t be canceled before the year is up — and yes, it is for a year — and my blog that follows this goes into some detail about it. Also, I forgot to add in that blog, GH won’t be canceled abruptly because of tying up story lines. There will be a big lead time – if the show won’t be renewed beyond the year, we would know that I imagine by September.

Yes, after the year, they might throw GMA in the Afternoon on the roster.

As far as Katie, ABC had her host GMA I think last week and hoped that would beat the ratings from Today. It didn’t. I can’t predict what will happen to her show.

April 12, 2012 at 2:41 am
(4) Annette says:

So really there is no time to relax. September isn’t long away. If next years renewal will be decided In 6 months time then we need to remain viligant in our viewing, coupons, etc and continue to not support The Chew. I suppose this also means Katie and GMAitA. Am I understanding correctly?

April 12, 2012 at 2:51 am
(5) generalhospital says:

I don’t know when we would know, but yes, no one watching The Chew, GMA in the Afternoon, and Katie is critical as is continuing the mail campaign especially to the affiliates. If the affiliates want GH, that goes a long way.

I assume the network is just planning to give them the year but we’ll see. I can’t remember how much time they gave the other soaps to wrap up their stories.

The most important thing is to get those ratings way up.

April 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(6) ron says:

The only good thing about the show is “Heather.” I also am now starting to like Olivia with her interactions with Heather. It will be interesting to see the two of them do battle. I am awaiting Felicia to return and hopefully she will stay like Anna did. Luke and Anna are great together. I am still angry that Tracy, Edward and Monica have no storyline. Monica should have been given the multiple personality storyline rather than Kate. It would make more sense for this build up to come to Monica (stress of her families deaths) rather than Kate who is not that much of an important character in my book. Also, enough of Carly and Johnny already! Whatever happened to Shawn and so many others who have vanished? I thought the Molly and TJ storyline was good and should have been a main focus of the show. Get rid of Starr, she is so boring.

April 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(7) ron says:

People are tired of Katie Couric. She has already been on all three networks. It is time for her to go to cable.

April 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm
(8) deb says:

I give up 100% worry about what may be in a year from now with GH. Wasted energy. I am going to enjoy the ride that Ron & Frank have in store for us.
Remember folks, if abc cancels this show after a year, a year is a long time. Anything could happen. Like it being picked up by a cable channel..

So I suggest ENJOY the ride and don’t even think about a year from now!

April 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm
(9) Annette says:

Well, I am going to enjoy and appreciate our short reprieve but a year is not very long.

I agree with Maria that we must remain vigilant and preserve GH.
It’s not likely to get picked up by cable. It is more likely that Katie would.

If we want GH we need to keep watching, keep the numbers up for GH and conversely keep the numbers down for the other shows, as she said.

Also, as she said, contact the affiliates regularly.
Doesn’t sound like a lot of relaxing time to me.

going to go post on my local ABC Affiliate FB page right now.

April 13, 2012 at 11:52 am
(10) deb says:

I am sorry Annette, but where did I read that the show was being cancelled in a year??

April 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(11) Jean says:

Yea boy..News to my ears.. Been watching GH since the beginning..
It adds a bright spot to a long day to be able to finish it with GH..
Love the return of old charaters like
Anna etc..Don’t really like all those One Life to Life folks..Need to finish
some stories of our own characters first..(:

April 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm
(12) ROSEMARIE says:

I HAVE WATCHED GH FROM DAY 1 AND I CRIED TEARS OF JOY WHEN I HEARD THAT OUR GH WAS SAVED.

April 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(13) nicole says:

All my favorite soaps have gone – we need to hold on to GH – it is and has been the favorite ever. It is intriguing, suspensful – love it…wish it was a nighttime show – it would be fantastic.

April 17, 2012 at 1:57 am
(14) Marvan says:

I watched GMA the week Katie co-hosted and if she were permanent I would not watch GMA any longer.

April 17, 2012 at 2:30 am
(15) Donna D says:

Thank you God, for answering my prayers that GH stay on TV for us to watch. Very happy right now!