1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

ABC Planning Medical Reality Show

By December 2, 2012

ABC is looking beyond soap fiction to producing its own medical reality show.

It's actually a reality version of General Hospital that is right now in an early stage of production but will air in daytime next year. The show will look at the private lives of doctors and nurses.

Apparently, ABC and other networks are experimenting with different types of shows to see what interests audiences in a world without soaps. You can read between the lines there. They're all trying to find cheap shows to produce that someone will watch.

ABC recently broadcast an eight-episode NY Med in prime time starring Dr. Mehmet Oz.

Medical reality shows threaten to overtake housewives and Jersey Shore-type programs. To name but a few that have appeared on TV schedules: Boston Med, Untold Stories of the ER, A Baby Story, Mystery ER, I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant, My Strange Addiction, Trauma: Life in the ER, Dr. G: Medical Examiner, Venom ER.

Now, one may ask whether this will affect General Hospital. Well, ABC is #1 in Daytime. That may not be enough for them. They still want to be #1 in daytime more cheaply. It's possible ABC may try to sell this show to its affiliates. We can hope the affiliates don't put it in place of General Hospital by letting our local stations know that if they replace General Hospital, we won't be watching.

ABC has a additional venues for this show, including selling it to cable or putting it on a cable station ABC owns such as Lifetime or ABC Family.

I would see this as a warning not to be too taken in by the ratings and to keep on top of the stations in your town that air GH. Many of these stations have Facebook pages or websites where you can leave a message, but in lieu of that, there is always snail mail or the telephone.

The affiliates will meet with the network some time early next year, so let's get on it.

Comments

December 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm
(1) Becki says:

EWWWWWWW….

I know I’m usually more eloquent, but words fail me at the moment.

December 3, 2012 at 6:51 pm
(2) TS1 says:

This is one sure way for ABC to lose their viewers. People are sick of reality shows, they are scripted anyway. I only have my tv and dvr on for GH than I change channels. Refuse to watch anything else during the day on ABC. Sick and tired how they treat soapfans when we are the ones who kept the ratings for them all these years. Wake up TPTB before it’s too late or you’ll be on the unemployment line.

December 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm
(3) Beth says:

If General Hospital goes I wouldn’t be surprised if the ratings for Katie Couric’s show take a nose dive as well. As far as a medical reality show during daytime, another stupid idea by ABC!

December 3, 2012 at 7:35 pm
(4) Karen says:

I say reality shows need to stick with nighttime veiwing.Unless they want to replace The Chew and Ricki Lake,I wouldn’t mind.But don’t mess with my GH!!

December 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm
(5) Lisa says:

I am fed up with reality shows. It’s why I watch very little TV except for GH, the news and The Big Bang Theory. Oh, and some football.

In fact, I don’t even have cable right now and I’m not missing it. I catch up with my shows on YouTube, CBS or ABC.

This show has been on almost 50 years. It deserves respect.

December 3, 2012 at 7:47 pm
(6) Marvan says:

PLEASE SOMEONE REALIZE the viewers do not want the reality, cooking, medical, talk or advice show. We were happy with the soaps. Does anyone read these comments? I stopped watching ABC except GH when AMC was cancelled.
As for GH, it’s been very good lately. Waiting for Lucy Coe and Bobbie Spencer! Hope the nurses ball doesn’t disappoint.

December 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm
(7) T says:

I would not watch the reality GH soap. I feel the networks have enough reality shows, not to add another. I have been watching GH since 1979. The executives should read these comments,as they would figure out they would be making a big mistake. Seriously.

December 4, 2012 at 12:02 am
(8) kim says:

If GH goes I will no longer be watching daytime tv.

December 4, 2012 at 3:43 am
(9) Annette says:

GH has been my only regular daytime show in a long time… Sure when I was sick I watched my share of Veronica Mars and 90210, but nothing on network tv during the day.

Make sure we all call, write, post, and tweet our continued love and joy for GH… To TPTB, the affiliates, etc.

Good luck and may GH out last her 50th bday.

PS….did I hear the name NICHOLAS today??? oh that would be a welcome return!

December 4, 2012 at 10:22 am
(10) Becki says:

You sure did Annette… How lovely would it be to see Tyler Christopher for a moment or 57?

I have to say I quite enjoyed the scenes with Robert and Helena. I didn’t realize that he had been involved in that whole Mikos thing with Luke. I also never really figured Helena for much of a comedienne, but she had me laughing. She delivered her lines so well and so naturally. It was almost like watching a blooper reel for me. The way she laughed at Robert “… LSD induced psychic episodes”… the “That was rude”. I was truly wondering if she was ad-libbing.

December 4, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(11) Juan says:

Becki you have got to be a young fan. Helena, when she was played by Elizabeth Taylor came after the whole Ice Princess saga. Robert has been on since 1981. Robert and Luke helped to freeze her husband. Also please no more reality shows please. General Hospital is so good now. It’s like watching the show from the old days.

December 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm
(12) judy says:

I won’t watch Katie Couric. Never liked her on the news. So I am not watching her now. I watch Days and GH, No others.

December 4, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(13) Denise says:

I’ve already cut ABC out of my viewing pleasure….of course, just GH is the only thing I watch on that channel. Reality shows…no, I don’t watch them, don’t care for them, don’t need them in my life…it’s ridiculous…there are plenty of writers out there that would love to be able to write for a REAL television program and not reality….I’m almost at the point where I don’t even want a tv in my house….

December 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm
(14) cassie says:

Enough already with the reality shows. why bother paying for cable. ior watching tv. to be subjected to such trash. the only one I watch is general hospital. if it ends. then there is no reason to watch tv.

December 11, 2012 at 9:14 am
(15) auntab says:

Please enough with the reality crap…dont you people get it yet…we, the people who watch the programs and the people who buy the products that your sponsors hawk at us every 15 minutes dont want another reality show…we want our soaps, all of them…you took off AMC and OLTL to put on talk shows (reality based) and whats happening..one has already been cancelled and the others are doing poorly…do you have to be hit over the head to realize what the viewers want…DO NOT PRODUCE THIS SHOW..IT WILL FAIL.

August 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm
(16) karrie says:

When is this suppose to air ?

August 15, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(17) generalhospital says:

Karrie, no idea. That’s an old blog, and the show may not air on ABC, but on a cable channel or something.