1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Writers, Take Note: A Personal Vent

By January 9, 2013

We all know what a wonderful job the writers are doing and have done.

However, I need to vent. I see two disturbing trends.

The first one, complained about in my 2012 review: Please find some other kinds of accidents to befall the citizens of Port Charles. Killer viruses, fires, and car accidents have been overdone. At this point, I ask myself why they don't just get some decent vaccines in there, invest in more fire extinguishers, and close the roads.

I know, what's left? We had a train wreck and a bus accident as well as various snowstorms.

I admit I don't have an answer but I don't have to: No one is paying me to write the show.

Here's another thing, a soap opera chestnut that on GH is starting to be very annoying. "I have something to tell you." "Okay, what?" "Well, what I have to tell you is --" Phone rings, doctor comes in with a deadly diagnosis, someone is so happy that you can't tell him or her the bad news.

Why do people take so long to say these things? Lately this technique seems constant, part of practically every story arc.

Common sense would say it is only going to be worse to tell the person later on, like five months later and you still don't look pregnant, you've gone back to your old girlfriend, or you've named your baby.

I say don't even bother trying. Decide to either not tell or work out a scheme of some kind, but this hesitation followed by a cell phone -- after five minutes of small talk and hesitation -- is driving me crazy.

My final note to the GH writers: You're better than this.

Comments

January 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(1) Karen Apa says:

I have a feeling they are going to make Maxie pregnant with Spinelli’s baby but the truth won’t come out until the baby gets sick and needs blood etc.

January 9, 2013 at 9:58 pm
(2) generalhospital says:

Karen, some people think that a story used on OLTL, the so-called “Double embryo” story will take place, where two eggs took and one egg didn’t make it, plus she gets pregnant by Spinelli. I guess that means twins with two different sets of parents but I didn’t see the story so I don’t know. I know it’s possible to have twins with two different fathers with in vitro but as for the rest, I’m not sure.

January 9, 2013 at 10:25 pm
(3) juan says:

also loved seeing milo and spinelli together. they should do a buddy storyline with the two of them. spinelli has grown on me during the years.

January 10, 2013 at 12:27 am
(4) Becki says:

As usual, well said Maria.

January 10, 2013 at 11:15 am
(5) Reta says:

One word MARIA: ditto!

January 10, 2013 at 11:45 am
(6) lizouttavegas says:

omgoodness, I couldnt agree more! I am SO SICK OF THEM ALMOST

January 10, 2013 at 11:49 am
(7) lizouttavegas says:

OMG, I couldnt agree more! Im so sick of that stutter,utter,mutter that every single situation w/a secret engages in, first!!!!!! and could Maxie’
s narcicism get any more extreme? I used to like her but these days I think she’s off the rails…and Im sick of Connie and her screaming..cant somebody just slap her into silence for a minute? and this is the best Sonny can do now? oh please…+ Carly is aging badly and Todd is homelier than a mud fence! whats wrong w/his ears? he’s bereft of ethics or conscience….and she just loves him so much….water seeks its own level, yes?
sick of this show lately…..have taken to watching NCIS reruns..
jmo, liz

January 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm
(8) Annette says:

Every is certainly entitled to their opinions but I’ll have to disagree with you Liz on a couple of points …

Laura Wright (aka Carly).
She has never looked more beautiful than she has this past month.
My husband and I both comment on how gorgeous she looks and wonder how she manages to look so fresh, beautiful, young, and vibrant without looking like she spent hours at the plastic surgeons unlike some of the other women in daytime tv.

We also adore Todd, who I think is extremely sexy.
Headstands, anyone??

I figure, if you don’t like GH, don’t watch it. Easy solution.

I posted earlier what I think will happen with Maxie/Spinelli/Lulu/Dante and the double embryos. Super complicated now with Spinelli feeling like he needs to stand by Ellie’s side. :( Poor Ellie.

January 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(9) Becki says:

I’m in the same camp as Annette. Todd Manning totally gets my motor revving, and I agree about Laura Wright. I was actually wondering if she might be pregnant, because I find she is absolutely glowing.

January 10, 2013 at 7:29 pm
(10) Annette says:

OMG BECKI

I completely thought the SAME THING.
Especially after LW tweeted something along the lines of “Life…Wow. Just Wow” yesterday.

BUT… then she tweeted something about her son being awesome, and I imagine that is probably it. :)

Still, for one half second my mind went there and it is mainly because she looks so fabulous! Kudos to her!

January 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm
(11) juan says:

i have to agree with liz carly looks bad.but todd on the other hand is hot! tamara was a better looking carly.

January 11, 2013 at 11:41 am
(12) Reta says:

VENTING: Britt the “twit” is really something. Who in their right mind shows up in a public hospital staff shower naked to seduce a colleague? Seriously, who does that. I feel like my intelligence is being questioned. The dummying down of Patrick’s refined character is rubbing me wrong. Truly he can see past all this. AND no female I know is as blind to the wilds of chick like Britt. Sabrina needs a clue. I really hope you all are right that Lucy will make over Sabrina.

Okay, I’m done.

January 11, 2013 at 8:53 pm
(13) Annette says:

RETA
Oh how we dislike Brit the Twit!
The manipulation of Sabrina, of Patrick.
(Not to mention the fact that she is a pediatriction yet is horrible with children and seems to dislike them intensely. Plus… pediatricians are not fertility doctors!)
Anyway… yes the shower scene was gross.

Lucy must makeover Sabrina.
Sabrina’s makeove is long overdue, anyway.

Patrick will feel like such a fool, though, because Robin will show up for the ball, right about when he becomes ‘committed’ to the newly, fashionable Sabrina.

Poor Sabrina.
Poor Robin.
Poor Patrick.
Brit who???

January 12, 2013 at 10:18 pm
(14) Denise says:

Britt makes me ill.

January 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm
(15) TLW says:

Just my two cents, for what it’s worth. Maria, I agree with you for the most part, but I think the writers used a car accident in the same location as last year as a sort of symbolism. Coming full circle, so to speak. First, Starr began her sojourn into the world of Port Charles by losing her fiance and daughter when they are run off the road. Johnny was responsible for causing the accident, but Connie let everything think it was her. Now, Connie has lost HER son as a result of an accident at the same location a year later. And that is when the whole truth was exposed. I think the situation with Maxie will play out that she is now pregnant with Spinelli’s baby, but she’ll suffer a dilemma in that no one knows the truth other than her and Brit the Twit. Spinelli truly loves Ellie, but with her paralysis now, it would be impossible for her to have his child. Does Maxie hold on to this secret and allow Lulu and Dante to think the child is still theirs or does she come clean and let Spinelli know the truth? I’m hoping they don’t turn this into a “oh, there are double embryos—everybody wins” because it would diminish the tension in what would be a genuine “rock and a hard place” decision for Maxie.
Carly looks gorgeous–don’t know what others are talking about—and Todd is HOT. Todd knocks my socks off! There is more to being sexy than being classically beautiful or handsome, Roger Howarth could make ME blush and that’s saying a lot! Haha!!
And as far as new plot twists, considering the latest weather patterns, maybe there could be a HURRICANE threatening Port Chuck next time! :)

January 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm
(16) TLW says:

And of course, I meant Connie let everyONE think it was her. :::sigh::: Sundays! :)

January 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(17) Annette says:

Well said TLW.

I agree with you on the symbolism for the car accident.

Also, I love the ‘rock and a hard place’ story for Maxie. I would love to see that real, true, tension, buildup, angst… I just don’t know what they will do.
Maxie does have trouble speaking up, so…

January 14, 2013 at 1:56 am
(18) generalhospital says:

TLW, I’ll buy it. But just this once. No more car accidents. Everybody and his uncle has been hit by a car or crashed into something.

Todd – I agree, he has great sex appeal and I think he’s cute. Also he has the most adorable smile.

For those who have asked about Jason and Kin Shriner, read my blog.

January 14, 2013 at 3:41 pm
(19) TLW says:

@generalhospital: Agree! No more car accidents and Todd is cute, funny and hot, with a killer smile! He’s been that way since he started on OLTL all those years ago. :D

@Annette: Thank you! You have a good point about Maxie’s not being so good with laying the truth on the line. The poor thing is learning that “no good deed goes unpunished”. Either way, if there’s only ONE baby, any decision she makes will end up hurting someone. And that’s a lot more difficult a position to be in and Kirsten Storms will get a chance to have a field day with that. The ideal thing would be for Lulu to end up being pregnant herself. After all, Olivia did see her in a vision as being pregnant! (At first I wasn’t too keen on the Olivia/LSD hallucinations thing, but I must commend the writers and the actrress on making that gimmick, at turns, funny, touching and heartbreaking. I was tearing up at the end of today’s show.)

January 14, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(20) Jeannie says:

Question: Is Ms. Storm (Maxie) wearing a hearing aid? I keep seeing something over her left ear. It’s a thin lavender tube looking thing.

January 14, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(21) Lisa C says:

Maybe the car accident where Trey died is supposed to be irony but I didn’t pick up on it. Hey, a hurricane might be a great idea. How about this…no more of those events at all? We don’t need that. WE NEED to see Duke, Anna, Robert and Holly. All of us longtime fans don’t give a rat’s butt about Britt and Sabrina. We all know Robin’s alive so it’s pointless, isn’t it? It’s just angst for Patrick. Jason Thompson is very talented but it’s being wasted in this storyline.

Laura Wright looks amazing. I wish I had her skin and hair. Roger H. isn’t my idea of hot but some women like scars like his, it makes them look more daring and aggressive. He has amazing comic timing, though, and his scenes with McBain on Friday were hilarious. I’m liking this funnier side of McBain because he usually puts me to sleep. And I can’t picture Sam spending that much time with him.

I am so sick of Connie and Johnny. As I said, I prefer to see the vets like Robert, who’s been in a coma too long, and Anna and Duke. They’re all great veteran actors who need more screen time.

I’m happy that Genie Francis is returning and I hope they give her a good storyline. She was missing at the Lante wedding and that pissed me off. Lulu barely mentioned her mom. Loved the wedding itself but she could have at least spent a few minutes calling her MOM.

January 14, 2013 at 7:10 pm
(22) Annette says:

@Jeannie

Kirsten Storms has a unique ear piercing that goes through two holes and connects together in the upper part of her ear cartilage. It is a pink metallic conical tube. I used to have one upper ear cartilage piercing but took it out several years ago.

January 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm
(23) Carolyn says:

I can cut the writers some slack on car accidents and storms and pivotal moments being interrupted by cell phones and texts. However, I am not understanding when it comes to the character of Dr. Britt. Patrick should know better. She is also completely unconvincing as a doctor. Lisa Niles was more believable. In all likelihood, Maxie did miscarry but what happened to Dr. Lee? She shouldn’t rely on Britt’s “diagnosis.” With February sweeps and the snow’s 50th anniversary coming up, Britt is a waste of air time. There are better stories to be told.

January 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(24) Dee says:

I think Laura Wright looks terrible. I guess each has his own opinion.

January 16, 2013 at 5:35 am
(25) generalhospital says:

Please do not trash the actors’ appearance. We do not allow negative posts about the actors on this site. You can criticize the CHARACTERS all you want, but not the actors.

January 14, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(26) juan says:

I agree that laura wright is not an attractive woman. i just don’t see her as being beautiful like many of the other people watching. i never thought of her as a pretty woman. To me elizabeth, britt, felicia, brenda, holly and anna are all pretty women to me. But I just don’t see it in laura wright. if that offends anyone i am sorry. but i see what i see.

January 15, 2013 at 3:37 am
(27) Marion says:

Thank you for your comment about the constant phone interruptions. My thoughts exactly, and it`s been bugging me like crazy lately.

January 15, 2013 at 10:58 am
(28) Lana says:

They are not finishing any story, I am fast forwarding to see if they mention Something that goes with what happen the Day before, the writers are all over the place PLEASE finish aleast one story , Robin

January 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm
(29) Reta says:

LANA you are so right! If we remember the reason Faison showed up was supposedly to get Sonny’s money via Kristina. Then we later find out that Faison is in cahoots with Lady Cassadine and Jerry Jax. Seriously, what happen to that storyline? Are we suppose to just forget that’s why Faison showed up originally and that’s what bought Duke, Robin, Ann, Holly, Robert, Helena and Jerry back on the scene. I’m sorry but that is bugging me.

January 16, 2013 at 5:32 am
(30) generalhospital says:

Hi Reta and Lana, I never liked that entire idea of pulling Faison, Jerry etc. into that story arc. The thing is, the show is juggling a lot of stories right now. I am guessing that they will come back to that story when the time comes. People complained for years that the show only focused on a few people. Now that it’s branching out and including a lot of characters, people are upset that everything isn’t dealt with every day. They cannot keep every single story arc going every single day. Some are going to be mainstreamed now and some later.

January 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm
(31) Annette says:

I think they are waiting for sweeps!

January 16, 2013 at 1:30 am
(32) Sandi says:

I totally agree with the comments made about not being able to get a full sentence finished when trying to tell someone something on this show.

Also, the perfect timing of overhearing someone telling NEWS is also getting ridiculous. You just know if someone is telling a secret there is someone outside the door listening and of course it is the exact person who should not be hearing what is said… every time!

This is called General Hospital, but seriously we only have ONE nurse and ONE student nurse working on the floors, in the OR and the ER? Come on writers… this is ridiculous!!

Do you not have any medical consultants on your staff at all? Can’t afford it? Then watch an episode of Grey’s Anatomy for heaven sakes. That code blue for Trey in the “ED” was the most asinine writing and acting I have ever seen. Seriously, you stop ventilating the pt to remove the family from the area? No way on God’s green earth would this happen!! Every person I know watching that show was laughing at that code and no they are not all in the medical profession.

Yes, it is true; I have never been a GH fan until we lost OLTL. I am trying people… honest!

You have some great actors on this show now… get some good writers too!

January 16, 2013 at 9:17 am
(33) Melissa says:

I know it is a bit late. But I have been watching GH since I was an early teenager. And am now close to 40, so I feel like I have grown up with the show. The last 4 years I have lived out of the country, so I have just been catching up through snid bits and episodes via youtube. But I must comment on how the departure of Jason was handled. I am the same age as Jason and Elizabeth’s characters, so I remember watching their story unfold. My main concern is the episode where Jason tells Sam he will kill her if she ever does anything to hurt Elizabeth and his son again (and he looked like he meant it). How do you come back from that? Then they are madly in love and have a child. I just think after all the years that have gone by, Jason and Elizabeth had always had something, and he never told her he would kill her. He always protected her for some reason (out of love?) Anyhow, I wish they would have ended his run with a reconciliation between Jason and Elizabeth. Which seemed to be hinted at, rather than a sad love story for Jason and Sam. Maybe it would have been a tougher storyline to end. But Sam and Jason…really? If someone tells me they’re going to kill me for someone else I find it hard to come back from that, to a happily ever after, even if it has been a few years. The writers seemed to make it clear that through everything, twenty years, Jason and Elizabeth share more than is let on. So why not end it with that. Ohhhhh, so sick of Sam and her sorrow. She’ll be with McBain tomorrow because she was not meant to be with Jason. Sad that the writers couldn’t leave us with that.

January 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm
(34) TLW says:

@Sandi: I, too, was a loyal OLTL fan (although I have also been a GH and AMC fan since they began in the 60s and 1970) and the writer and producer for that show are the ones in charge now at GH. Ron Carlivati is the head writer. I agree that there are MANY things about the way the procedures are done at GH that are not realitstic. My husband—who is a firefighter/paramedic—often feels compelled to point out how this is not done correctly or that isn’t, or he remarks “that would NEVER happen in an actual hospital or ER”, etc. I have to constantly turn around and remind him, “It’s a SOAP hospital!!” Haha! People in soaps have the lousiest peripheral vision this side of glaucoma, too! :D
@Annette:Thank you for explaining that piercing! How cool! I’ll have to check it out. I usually notice every detail, but somehow managed to miss her ear adornment. For one thing, I LOVE Maxie’s hairstyle. Maybe I just can’t get past looking at how cute THAT is. :)

January 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm
(35) generalhospital says:

Well, JJKK, this is something I have complained about many times. People know too much about hospital procedure, courtroom procedure, to take a lot of license with this type of thing on television, even a soap. It takes people out of the reality. SOME license, yes, like all those doctors hanging around the nurses’ desk (give me a break, like you’d see a doctor anywhere). But they need to be more careful. My favorite was one of the trials where relatives and friends of the defendant were on the jury. Then it really doesn’t matter what happens, everyone is disgusted.

January 17, 2013 at 5:02 pm
(36) Annette says:

@TLW

Yeah I know what you mean about hospitals/ER and doing it ‘right’. I’ve spent more time in the hospital/ER over the past 6 months than Patrick Drake has (haha) and I just roll my eyes and my DH and I joke that thank God GH is NOT like the real hospital… otherwise a patient might wait 8 hours in ER before even being seen! AND you never look ‘right’ with all of those tubes and wires… oh they try, but they can’t acheive the bloated/sunken/sallowness that comes from being hooked to machines from days and days on end.

As far as KS’s Maxie goes? Love her hair, makeup, and clothes… If I was 20 years younger I’d definitely try to rock that look. She’s a cutie-pie!

January 17, 2013 at 6:17 pm
(37) generalhospital says:

People do spend 8 hours in emergency rooms without being seen.

January 18, 2013 at 4:58 am
(38) Annette says:

Haha, yeah that was my point. IRL we wait 8 hours or more to be seen in emergency whereas on GH people walk into the hospital, up to the nurses station and are seen. What the heck kind of hospital is that??

When I have Dr appts with a Dr at the hospital it is actually at a bldg adjacent to the hospital, not on the same floor as admitted patients, much less the same physical bldg.. The activity at the nurses station, while entertaining, is not remotely accurate from any of the hospitals I’ve ever visited as a patient or guest.

I give GH credit for keeping it interesting :)

The law stuff I toss my hands up, but always know I’ll get a good laugh out of it :)

January 18, 2013 at 11:01 am
(39) TLW says:

@generalhospital and @Annette: LMAO!! Yes! GH only vaguely resembles a real hospital (like ALL soap hospitals) and soap courts should have cages set up where they can keep the kangaroos handy. ;D The ER seems to move to whatever floor everyone happens to be on at the time and there isn’t one nurse or administrator asking what kind of insurance coverage anyone has before (or while) they begin administering treatment! You KNOW that isn’t realistic!

And Annette, I agree that Maxie (also Kirsten herself) is absolutely adorable. I’m so happy to see her so healthy and have her back on the show.