1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Viewers, Don't Panic

By January 17, 2013

Okay, viewers, time to get real.

For years, viewers of General Hospital have complained about mob stories and the focus on a few characters.

Now that GH is handling a lot of different story arcs involving many different characters, the complaints are rolling into this site. "They're dropping storylines." "I hate the vampires." "The stories are taking too long." "What happened to" this one, that one, "I haven't heard anything about this in a long time - what happened to it?"

I can't pretend to read the mind of Ron Carlivati, but I can tell you this: General Hospital is juggling many story arcs and many characters right now. I'm sure the producers thought that's what you all wanted.

The show cannot possibly focus on every story every day and maybe not even every week.

Yes, some plots have gone on a long time, and others will seem like they've gone on a long time because they can only be touched on before they become central to the show. And only Carlivati and his team know when that's scheduled to happen.

As far as vampires, which everyone seems so uptight about, first of all, how come it's okay for vampires to be the big thing, starting with Anne Rice, then the Twilight saga and True Blood - etc., and not okay for General Hospital to at least mention them, since Port Charles had them before the furor?

Carlivati is touching on the vampires. It is not a story arc. It is being used, I believe, to bring Kevin Collins onto the show to help Lucy, who has had a psychotic break. Also, it is giving Lucy an opportunity to be hilarious.

Now, I don't know if there will be fantasy segments or how this will unfold. But Carlivati figured that as long as they had the whole crew there, why not make mention of their old characters?

These writers have done an excellent job thus far. Yes, we're all going to have complaints, but this show is so much better than it was, it's not even funny. We have Lucy and Heather back! Faison returned! More old-timers are coming! Enjoy it.

The writers have this all mapped out. I see no reason at this point not to trust them. I might later on, but I don't now. Everybody - relax!

Comments

January 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm
(1) Becki says:

I think you make an excellent point Maria. I can’t say I’m enjoying all the storylines, but I am enjoying the fact that it gives me a chance to see everyone on the canvas. I am thrilled that not every storyline involves Sonny anymore. I got to see Epiphany today raising Cain because no one told her about the Nurse’s Ball. Lots of Q sightings, missing Molly a bit, still p.o’d they killed Trey rather than just letting him leave. Curious to see what that spins off in to.

I’m not super keen on the vampire storyline, but since I didn’t watch Port Charles, it helps explain how these folk all knew each other. And since many viewers pointed out that “John” and “Sam” knew each other as “Caleb” and “Livvie” when McBain first came on the scene, I think the writers are on the ball by dealing with it in this way.

January 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(2) Annette says:

I’m probably one of the few people who was excited about the vampires coming to GH. I loved Port Charles and I watched Buffy, Angel, and read every Anne Rice book (well, not the erotica…).

My concern is that by having Lucy Coe (one of my all time favorite GH characters, up there with Lila, Edward, and Alan!) attempt to kill Cain/McBain it puts her in a really hard position to come back from for the Nurses Ball, etc. I am thrilled Kevin is coming back, but she could have bonked McCain (haha) with a chair and it would have been less violent albeit less Slayer. I was just really shocked they went with Mr. Stabby right off the bat.

I am sure they have a plan. I hope they have a plan. I would hate to imagine they wouldn’t have this mapped out a year plus in advance!!

Maria your point about the writers having so many storylines running that they can’t keep them all front and center every day makes perfect sense. I wish we could have a little more continuity when some of the sl seem to lag, but all in all the show, the stories… Wow.. Sooo much better, so exciting, and very enjoyable.

I can’t wait to watch every episode, and enjoy every scene.

January 17, 2013 at 11:51 pm
(3) juan says:

I am sorry but there are no words for how freakin great and entertaining this show is now. i dare not to miss an episode. The mob is gone and i am so happy about that. when jason left he took the mob with him. Lucy, Heather, Todd (he is too darn funny, please do not send him back to the internet version of one life to live), and the pairing of Felix and Carly as friends! (I am sure that this is a setup for him to meet her brother Lucas, I can see that one coming down 5th avenue.) wow that was great work! The show is so freakin funny and entertaining. I said that before but my word this is the best show on television right now!By the way did everyone get how Diane mentioned “True Blood.” Great writing guys.,

January 18, 2013 at 6:53 pm
(4) Reta says:

ANNETTE good point–continuity pls.

January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(5) Ester says:

But I don’t watch b=vampire shows. I do wwatch GH – rather I did. Between the ridiculous Lucy/vampire story and so many story lines, I’m done!

January 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm
(6) Pat Hufford says:

I’m enjoying General Hospital more now than I ever have. I’ve watched off and on since the beginning. And I haven’t missed more than a few episodes since my daughter appeared as an extra and an ‘under 5′ in a few episodes about a year and a half ago.
I love the whole vampire shtick. Especially since I missed it on Port Charles the first time around. I think Lucy is hilarious. And I’ve been waiting and hoping for more since Sam and John first met and felt the connection.
I think GH is just getting better and better. And watching as they’re juggling all the storylines makes sure I never miss an episode. There’s too much going on. Gone are the days sitting around the kitchen table drinking coffee. BTW, I love that the charactors are actually eating these days.

January 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm
(7) CC says:

I hate the new story lines! There so FAKE !!! I also like Star ! Wish they keep her!!

January 21, 2013 at 6:48 pm
(8) Bev Roth says:

they need longer scenes, they jump to each scene too fast.

January 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm
(9) Jen says:

Hi Annette and Pat, you are NOT the only ones who enjoy the vampires!

I’m having a lot of fun watching Lucy go all vampire slayer on John. Lucy had to stab him otherwise she wouldn’t be a ‘true” slayer LOL

I am so sick and tried of reading all of the negative posts here about GHs storylines! I LOVE, I said LOVE 99% of the show and the rest I keep to myself.

People like Ester above have nothing better to do than to complain. I hope I won’t have to read any more of her posts!

Peace and soap heaven,

Jen

January 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm
(10) BarbieK says:

I would love to see a storyline like Dark Shadows cross over with GH. I watched Dark Shadows as a little girl and loved it! Keep GH alive with the OLTL characters and do NOT send them packing! Lucy Coe is a nutcase STILL, but very entertaining and I do NOT miss the Mob boss and his sidekick. I miss handsome Jason with Sam.

January 21, 2013 at 7:30 pm
(11) Annette says:

YAY! I’m so glad to see there are other vamp lovers on this board!
My only issue was Lucy doing something that might send her packing because I love her sooo much that now that she’s back I don’t want to lose her…. Having her stab McBain and end up in Shadybrook to hang out with Heather Webber was completely worth it. That was probably one of my all time favorite ‘scenarios’.

I can see the writers now…
How do we get Lucy and Heather together.

Now remember… Heather knows something the Q’s don’t….
but it looks like AJ will find out soon enough and it may be just the thing to lure Lucy and her 1% away.

As long as we get the Nurses Ball, some madcap mayhem, and the continuing variety of players I’m a happy camper.

I love that we’re seeing everyone… I’d (of course) love to see more Anna and Luke, but that’s just me :)

Go GH, and yes, Peace and soap heaven Jen ;)

January 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm
(12) Nelson says:

I am a Week and half behind on this show,. and reading these post makes me want to hurry up and Catch up !!! SUPER happy to See Lucy again.. and knowing Kevin is on his way back…….. and READING that they are some-what doing a Vampire Story line excites me Big TIme. !!!

I am a 41 y/o man who been watching GH since Lucy First Appeared as Innocent Librarian ;-) and dont have anyone to chat with about this show when it ends each episodes.. So thanx for having this so I can speak with the rest ;-)

None of the story lines bother me at all,. but you actually get to see this town and all the other people (characters) that live here and not just Sonny and Jason with the Mob !! ..

GH,. I never stopped watching.. but now Im back to really looking forward to catching each episode.. I usually watch one weeks worth back to back between Saturday and Sunday mornings !!
Thank you again !! ;-)

January 21, 2013 at 11:22 pm
(13) Joann says:

Please get done with the AJ and Tracey story line. So boring and old. No vampires for me. Where is Robin? I thought she was coming back. Too much. Do not know why they took Trey off. I really liked that story line.

January 21, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(14) mae says:

stop jerking everyone around

January 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm
(15) mae says:

vampires really let’s not get to stupid

January 22, 2013 at 8:59 am
(16) tlwkm says:

Was so excited to see Lucy return to GH but never watched Port Charles and not excited to have the vampire story on this show…

January 22, 2013 at 10:41 am
(17) TLW says:

I never watched Port Charles, but I used to watch Dark Shadows, Buffy, Angel and now watch True Blood. As much as I obviously love the vampire genre, I was a bit annoyed by their adding the whole Caleb/Livvie/Lucy as Slayer thing into the present GH storylines because I wasn’t sure where they were going with it, but I tolerated it for the sake of the fans of the PC soap (hey, I’m an unselfish person—I want everyone to be happy—lol). But, now that Maria has explained about their using this as a way to bring Kevin Collins back on and probably also as a way to have Lucy and Heather cross paths, I’m feeling more at ease with it. And Maria hit the nail on the head with the multiple storyline arcs, etc. GH is at the top of its game lately—the writing, performances—stellar. Darn it all, but I’m even liking SONNY again, now that they aren’t bashing us over the head with him and Jason every single minute of every single day. The sets have lightened up, the wardrobe has lightened up (has Carly ever looked more ravishing, entering the courtroom in that dynamite red dress with her new hair?), the performances and the writing have lightened up—-it’s a miracle, I tell ya! Yes, they have many people on board now and I’m sure it’s a juggling act getting them all in there, but I do trust RC and I’m enjoying this show every day.

January 22, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(18) generalhospital says:

bravo, TLW – you’ve captured the spirit! And I agree.

January 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm
(19) Joanne says:

I hate the Vampire story line it is horrible!!!! This is not what the majority of your viewers want to see!!!! I love Todd and John McBain in GH do what ever you have to do to keep them!! What does Prospect Park care their OLTL is no longer on the air, ABC and GH should have been a little bit more careful on their license tactics

January 22, 2013 at 11:17 pm
(20) j.j. says:

i love the new storylines and the pace of the show. i don’t mind that jason is gone and i am ecstatic about all of the returning characters! GH finally feels like GH again.

January 24, 2013 at 12:11 am
(21) pat helms says:

I thought it was cute when they were showing john and sam as trying to remember why they felt like they knew each other.. I enjoy what the writers are doing except that they took Jason out and he was one of my favorites…. now they are taking john, starr and todd away and i was so happy when they came to general hospital i miss my one life to live and all mychildren… have enjoyed bringing some of our characters from the other programs on… please try andget them back

January 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm
(22) generalhospital says:

Pat, the shows are coming back online, and unfortunately right now GH can’t use the characters of Todd etc. until they work out something with Prospect Park, who licensed One Life to Live. Also, the writers aren’t responsible for taking Jason out. The actor playing Jason left the show.

January 24, 2013 at 5:44 am
(23) Kathy says:

What is this? Dark Shadows? All of a sudden Lucy has gone Bonkers and thinks John is a vampire. He used to be in a weird show. It is just too way out there. lets get back t earth.

January 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm
(24) Patricia Morrison says:

Don’t know what URL means so I can’t fill it in. It will be a sad day when Todd and McBain leave GH. After Sonny the are principle characters. Without McBain who will Sam end up with. Please, please either let Britt her come upance or get her off the show. When the heck is Robin coming back. It would be terrific to see Britt’s sorry face when Robin gets back.

January 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm
(25) Joanne says:

Please work out something with Prospect Park why would they care? There OLTL got cancelled!!!! Why would they stop these actors from working on GH? Todd makes this show, If they are worried about the name Manning change it and who cares about Landview, I never watched OLTL to begin with!!

January 26, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(26) generalhospital says:

Joanne, they can’t stop the actors, the problem is that they right now have stopped the actual characters from appearing. So yes, something will have to be worked out. It could be that Prospect Park won’t need them and all will be well.

February 15, 2013 at 2:53 pm
(27) Cheta says:

HATE THE VAMPIRE STUFF
ALEXA’S TWO DAUGHTERS AND STARR CANNOT ACT (PLASTIC)
TODD’S ROLE IS STUPID (OLD OLTL)
BRING ROBIN AND SCORPIO BACK