1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

'OLTL' Characters To Depart

By January 18, 2013

The characters brought to General Hospital from One Life to Live -- Todd Manning, Starr Manning, and John McBain (Roger Howarth, Kirsten Alderson, and Michael Easton) are leaving the show hopefully short-term and may appear on the new OLTL.

When ABC gave Prospect Park their license, part of the agreement was that General Hospital would have to stop using the OLTL actors. It's probably a "right of first refusal" clause of some sort.

This news did not sit well with the actors -- naturally, since they have now settled in Los Angeles. They do not have to do OLTL as they are now under contract to ABC, but they cannot do General Hospital. ABC, however, could request the actors to appear to help the new production.

Prospect Park is looking to attract a younger demographic than OLTL had, so the show may only want them initially to bring in the existing fans.

There are talks going on so that the actors can return to General Hospital at some point.

(On a personal note: No Todd! I'm sick!)

Photo: American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

January 18, 2013 at 8:53 am
(1) Jenner says:

That really sucks. I won’t miss Starr, but I will miss Todd and McBain (in that order, lol). And sorry, I won’t pick up watching OLTL online just for Todd. I really hope they let them return to GH as Todd and McBain.

Bah.

January 18, 2013 at 10:35 am
(2) Liv says:

This is very disappointing…The new characters brought new life to Gen Hosp. While I do enjoy the returning characters on the show, they don’t seem to stick around long. So I’m scared to see where the story lines are going to go without the OLTL people there…as long as they don’t kill them all off, like the new trend of doing exactly that…

January 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm
(3) Annette says:

I think everyone is dissapointed. I don’t know why they can’t buy out this clause or something.

If they want younger viewers then Todd/John aren’t going to attract them. I might/might not watch OLTL and AMC online. It kind of depends on how its offered and how well it works. If it’s easy to do then, yeah, I can see myself doing it. Sometimes there’s so much song/dance that I give up on online programming. Or, it’s incompatible with my devices or smart tv, etc.

As far as GH goes… we’ll definitely miss all of them.. even Starr who I don’t think any of us embraced, has found a nice niche with Michael and Kristina.

Todd? He is irreplacable.
I’m in mourning for his loss for sure
John McBain also was well established among many stories and the hole will be wide and deep.

Boo. :(

January 18, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(4) generalhospital says:

Annette, I think they will be back. This is a right of first refusal, I’m pretty sure. Meaning that OLTL has the option to use these actors or not. Initially I think they want to, and the reason GH can’t use them is that as the new OLTL is launched, Prospect Park doesn’t want the competition. But I don’t think they’re going to want to keep them, nor do I think the actors will want to stay or be there in the first place. From what I understand, the actors can refuse to appear but ABC will probably ask that they do.

I mean, think about the situation – Todd is supposedly living in Port Charles – he would have to, in the OLTL story, move his operation back to Llanview, which he might do. Starr and Michael would have to break up. John and Sam, forget it. I mean, what would be the reason these characters are suddenly back there? It will be interesting to see what the writers do and that will tell us, I think, how long they think they will all be gone.

January 18, 2013 at 6:49 pm
(5) Reta says:

I so love Todd. Yesterday, when he was in hancuffs and started clapping for Lucy when she walked out the courtroom I almost lost it. His one liners are the best.

Here is my suggestion: Can’t the OLTL actors be dual contributors to both soaps? Well, that’s at least what I hope for. What I do not want to see is this all being a dream for Lucy / the viewers–sigh.

Either way, I am in for the long hall.

…….SOAP FAN 4EVER

January 18, 2013 at 10:55 pm
(6) juan says:

Will the new One Life To Live and All My Children be filmed in New York or California. And will Debbie Morgan return after being fired from The Young And The Restless? Can anyone answer these questions? Thank you.

January 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm
(7) Annette says:

Oh Maria,
I do hope it’s a short term situation.
I’ll miss Todd while he’s gone for sure.
The one liners, the self-deprecation, the sarcasm…
and yet he is loving and kind at the same time.

He has the best comedic timing of anyone on daytime tv.

January 20, 2013 at 11:14 am
(8) Mel says:

I for one will miss Starr. I didn’t care for her at first and recall seeing old previews for OLTL way back in the day and wondering how she was so popular. Now I get it and the actress has really grown on me. And yeah I’ll miss Todd as well. His character is hilarious.

January 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm
(9) Cheryl says:

I am ecstatic that they have to leave GH!! Woo Hoo!! I was open to the move initially UNTIL the head writer ruined the characters as well as the network ending we had! Thank you Prospect Park!!

January 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm
(10) Lee says:

I will not miss Todd, I liked the one before him. I will however miss John
I hope they will all come back, as I don’t like watching TV on my computer.

I have been watching the show since 1963. My son who was in the playpen
at the time is a grown man and has given me beautiful grandchildren.

January 21, 2013 at 6:40 pm
(11) Jen says:

I don’t know why so many of you didn’t like the character, Starr. She had the tragic loss of her young daughter and boyfriend. That’s your typical soap storyline and Kirsten did a GREAT job!

I watched her grow up on OLTL so I was thrilled to have Todd, Starr and John join GH. OLTL was my favorite soap opera. If prospect park changes it they will lose their long time viewers. I really don’t feel it’s necessary to appeal to a younger audience…they just have to have handsome guys/girls on the show and they WILL watch!

By the way, Roger Howarth is one of the BEST actors on daytime, it’s too bad that most of you didn’t see his work on OLTL!

I LOVE Michael Easton and I’m really enjoying the flashbacks to Port Charles…I watched every episode. GO VAMPIRES!

January 21, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(12) Cindy says:

I will miss Roger Howarth, Michael Easton & Kirsten Alderson, playing their characters on General Hospital, I love them all. I was sad when we lost the soap One Life to Live, but when they brought some of the charcters from OLTL, I was very happy. I do hope that they come back to GH as they brought new life to GH & made it more interesting. I will not be watching OLTL online as it probably cost money to get it. I don’t care anymore if they bring back OLTL, its old news now. I want Todd, Starr & John back on GH, PLEASE come back people.

January 21, 2013 at 6:56 pm
(13) Rebecca says:

It would be nice if ABC would get its act together. They are slowly killing their own Daytime following not to mention the whole Network.. Please, I can’t keep up with who/what is happening anymore. Story lines stop right in the middle and never come back. What’s with bringing all the old timers back for a few weeks. You could have accomodated someone else’s schedule and saved quite a few h/a’s. Todd ,Manning and John McBain are good for the show. Star is just fluff. She doesn’t add much but a distraction for Michael, should have kept Trey’s character. The whole DID storyline has been over done, not to mention, the crazy bit. Get on with the show and do what needs to be done. I have watched since 1977 and this is the worst it has ever been. No one wants to watch soaps online. I mean REALLY they don’t belong there. I gave up watching shows like “the view”, “the Talk”, Dr Phil, “Anderson” etc. back when Donahue was on. It is the same story line on every daytime talk show then they show it again on the late night talk shoes. I enjoy FX and Lifetime and prefer the old sitcoms on cable. Regular TV is getting ridiculously boring. It has hit ROCK BOTTOM!

January 21, 2013 at 6:56 pm
(14) BarbieK says:

How can they KEEP messing with our feelings? I LIKE Star and John McBain and Todd the nutcase. They breathed new life into GH. To lose them would be BAD! Michael is finally back in love and I would love to see a storyline develop with him getting married. McBain I liked with Natale so BRING her over!! Sam belongs with Jason and NO ONE will ever fill his shoes! I hate this coming and going. As much as I miss OLTL I cannot see watching it online.

January 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm
(15) Helen says:

I like all the OLTL stars. Starr is good for Michael. I find Starr to be wise for her age. I find Todd really funny and McBain is a gentleman.

January 21, 2013 at 7:15 pm
(16) Donna Clunan says:

I don’t think this is fair at all for all us GH fans. Prospect Park had their chance a year ago and blew it and should not be able to disrupt these actors and their fans now. I don’t know if I will even watch these shows online after all this time. This is not sitting well with me at all.

January 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm
(17) Mary says:

Please let them stay on GH.I love them so very much.Sam needs John,Michael needs Starr and Carly needs Todd.

January 21, 2013 at 8:03 pm
(18) Carolyn Wolfe says:

I am really disappointed about this because I loved seeing John McBain, Todd and Starr on the show. I also loved the tie in with Lucy Coe and the nod to Port Charles, the Soap Opera with a Vampire twist! I loved PC and was looking forward to seeing where this goes.
I was going to watch Prospect Park’s AMC and OLTL anyway, but now, I am really disappointed that the actors have made the move to GH and are being taken off, temporarily can mean a long time… I so hope that this can be resolved.
Love all these soaps, but was really enjoying seeing these characters
on GH.

January 21, 2013 at 8:25 pm
(19) bj says:

Disappointmented have gotten used to Starr n John don’t care abt todd can’t stand him..I’ve been watching GH for a Looong time with Jesse n Phil Brewer, Cynthia Allison etc.. i knew Cynthia (Carolyn) n her parents. So well Iwas given her wedding dress to use myself

January 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm
(20) Vicki says:

I am sad and angry about this. Todd, Starr and John have blended well into General Hospital and have formed relationships. Now I wish OLTL wasn’t going online. They were my favorites on OLTL along with Blair, Bo, Clint, Vicki. We don’t know if these characters will even be back. This stinks!

January 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm
(21) Tracey says:

I too have mixed feelings about the re-transitioning of the OLTL characters back to Llanview…When the show was originally cancelled, like many fans I was crushed by not being able to see my favourites anymore. At least when they moved to GH it didn’t feel like a complete and total loss…the only confusion I have now is how will the move back affect the old Llanview storylines? Will they pick up from where they ended or go in a completely different direction? Some of the questions also exist for AMC as a few of the actors appear of Y&R and B&B. Confusing? Yes! I guess like everyone else…we’ll have to tune in tomorrow……

January 21, 2013 at 10:22 pm
(22) Dee says:

I don’t care about John, and I hope GH do not run with that stupid story line they had on Port Charles. I love Lucy but please don’t do it. As for Starr I love the actress, but I don’t like the way she’s become. She use to be exciting we did not know what to expect. I realize it was mischief but it was exciting. She miss goodie two shoes and I think most that love her for many years can’t get with her now. They need to make her more like her Dad. I love, love Roger, those who don’t like Todd don’t know good entertainment.

January 21, 2013 at 11:25 pm
(23) ammiey says:

i may drop gh if they dont return soon. they made the show. todd & john i will miss..:( dont want laura back!..only liked her back in the day. gh better come up with something good here or they will lose viewers!..me anyway.

January 22, 2013 at 1:55 am
(24) Judy in South Carolina says:

I don’t claim to know ANYTHING about how these supposed contracts work but to ME it should be simple. OLTL was CANCELED. That should mean that ALL of the people associated with it should have been free to move on to another soap, something in primetime, whatever!

If these three former OLTL actors signed valid contracts with GH then how can Prospect Park or ANYONE else come in and say “okay, well, I am glad you found employment after OLTL and ABC/Disney, (whoever) gave you the boot but now OLTL is resurrected so you are being called back to work THERE”.

Does that make sense in ANYONE’S world????? Especially when these fine actors have RELOCATED for their NEW jobs?????

I say BOO HISS to Prospect Park. Especially since there is NO way they are going to reward the long mourning viewers of AMC and OLTL with anything but some OUTRAGEOUS fee to pay to watch these soaps again airing on the internet. ALL of them should cry foul just as we, the GH fans, are doing because WE are losing three great actors that no one seemed to care about until it suited THEIR purpose!

Signed A Totally Ticked Off GH Fan

January 22, 2013 at 3:19 am
(25) Heather Bachman and daughter Lori Proo says:

I wish the writers would stop dropping actors right and left with no decent endings. Franco?? what was the purpose of his part? it just started with no real story line then ended. Jason.. great actor you just killed off overnight with no respectful or sad ending. He just ended as if he was no body important.Jason helped make GH interesting to watch than he was gone. Why couldn’t he have at least got to know his son was his own and have died in Sams arms. Now Starr,Todd & McBain leaving!! Your writing has gone from bad to worst. You better do something good before we all stop watching. AND! don’t make that Dr.
pregnant with Patricks baby or pregnant with Danti’s enbro to look like its Patricks baby for Robin to deal with another heartache about Patrick. START THINKING OF SOMETHING NEW AND EXCITING instead of always repeating the same storylines with different people or the same people.Go back and review Gloria Montes storylines that were soooo exciting and unpredictable then you will have learned something about story writing. or write me and I will help you keep GH alive. mazzfozz@yahoo.com

January 22, 2013 at 3:34 am
(26) Tammy says:

If they leave ,then there goes my interest in the show..These three characters are what held my interest in the show.I’ll follow them on their new show.I don’t really care about Laura Spencer’s return..Luke and Laura are old news..I hate the Maxie/Spinnelli storyline.This is the end for a McBain/Sam storyline. Michael will be more involved with AJ which is great.Lucy…I can’t stand her Anna/Duke/Luke need to leave ..don’t care for that storyline. I would love to see Patrick back with Robin..don’t care for Patrick’s storyline now..it’s so fake,and it really shows Patrick acting like a jerk..he was a decent person with Robin. When the Llanview trio leave..I will too.

January 22, 2013 at 3:41 am
(27) Annie Haywood says:

I will miss the characters of Todd and McBain,But not Starr, this really
sucks. It is time that they recast Jason Morgan, How long will we have tto wait? They have no body which means they will bring him back from the dead like they always do. And Sonny needs a inforcer.

January 22, 2013 at 7:25 am
(28) Patricia Morrison says:

If anyone is bumped off General Hospital it should be Britt. Her chatacter is obnoxious and sneaky. I can’t wait until Robin returns and ruins all her efforts to seduce Pattick.

January 22, 2013 at 8:25 am
(29) Raphaela says:

I have only watching GH for two years, and the commings and goings are pretty irritating. I am still hoping for Lucky to come back! Now we have lost Jason! So, now I watch GH, will be watching Young and the Restless, am watching old OLTL to catch up on John McBain character, and soon will be watching New OLTL, etc. If I didn’t need Soapnet to tape nissed or preempted episides, i could cut back to basic cable!

January 22, 2013 at 8:58 am
(30) shannon says:

My daughter who is 10 has started watching when she can, and she watches for Star and Michael. She was very sad when I told her that Star wasn’t going to be on it anymore. This is the younger viewer that they want! The next generation right! Well I for one will miss Todd. He brings humor to the show. Also does this mean Michael will go with? Since it is all about him and Star? also get rid of the vampire story! It doesn’t fit here!

January 22, 2013 at 9:41 am
(31) Bonnie says:

I
I am happy that Starr is leaving ! Sorry that Todd is going he’s a good actor but Gh will be great with out them. The writing and production valueis what increased the ratings

January 22, 2013 at 10:25 am
(32) TLW says:

I admit, I’m a bit blindsided by this news. I figured that PP was out of luck since Roger, Kristen and Michael were on contract with ABC/Disney and GH now. Because of the former state of GH and its low ratings when OLTL departed, I was not a happy camper when they announced they were binging several characters over from OLTL. I had become disappointed with GH, had stopped watching and they dragged me kicking and screaming back to the show to see my beloved OLTL people. Well, here we are a year later and I am LOVING GH and enjoying my OLTL people on the show. I’m not happy now that PP is pulling out their trump card and messing around with, not only the continuity on GH, but the actors’ LIVES. They’re being treated like cattle, which I suppose is nothing new for ABC/Disney to pull, since they did the same thing to all the actors on All My Children— uprooting them and their families cross-country, only to cancel their show a year later (which ABC/Disney probably knew they were going to do anyway even before they moved the show). The fact that the actors themselves are NOT happy with these latest developments speaks volumes. Honestly, these corporations just do NOT care about people—both the ones that watch and the ones that work for them. If the actors are happy where they are, then they should leave them on GH. But, causing friction and bad blood is not exactly a great starting point for PP’s new venture. You would think they’d have learned something from ABC/Disney’s debacle a few years ago.

January 22, 2013 at 11:50 am
(33) lana says:

Those three people really gave life to General hospital Todd,Star and John HELP ABC KEEP THEM

January 22, 2013 at 11:58 am
(34) Susan says:

Like others who have posted:

I also am not so interested anymore that PP wants to bring back AMC and OLTL as a year has passed and PP disappointed us before with what did not happen. I also do not like actors being forced to move back across the country–and now they allegedly will have to go to Conn to tape, rather than in NYC.

Since they are looking to cast new people in many of the roles and looking for a younger audience, they are going to lose devoted older viewers like me who loved OLTL the way it was with its actors. I am not particularly interested in stories re: teens.

I had stopped watching GH during the Brenda story as the show had become so boring. I only started watching it again because my characters from OLTL were coming on and there was no AMC or OLTL to watch. Now I look forward to GH every day….with the OLTL characters. I love seeing my OLTL characters on GH. I loved when Blair and Tea were on also.

I already pay a fortune for cable and am not interested in paying more for internet which I do not like watching TV shows on anyway—for a half hour,. 4 days a week with Friday a combination of the other 4 days of what were my soaps, now with replacement actors and a few of the originals. As far as I am concerned, PP missed the time when it would have been appreciated when the original actors were still available/interested as they had just lost their jobs. I

January 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm
(35) Judy Lee says:

That really really SUCKS!!! I love Todd and Carly, Plus John McBain–OMG Hopefully ABC can do something

January 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(36) jerry davis says:

that really sucks that john mcbain, star manning and todd manning may be forced off general hospital due to a cancelled show contract. john, todd and star add a special kind of spice to the show. boo to abc if they
enforce the previous contract.

January 22, 2013 at 1:25 pm
(37) Ann says:

This just totally sucks! The actors should decide their futures, not ABC or PP! They belong right where they are on GH! Not on any watered down, reworked 30 minute online soap. I sincerely hope and pray it will be resolved so they do not have to go to PP at all. They have uprooted their lives to do GH. Easton moved his wife and baby girl back out to his home in LA. The Aldersons moved. I don’t know about Howarth. This is so unfair to put these actors in this position. All I know is I want them on GH, not the on,ine OLTL!

January 22, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(38) Joanne says:

OH COME ON GET REAL TODD AND MCBAIN MAKE THIS SHOW!!!!

January 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(39) Carolyn says:

I will miss all the OLTL actors. They have brought so much energy to GH and the writers have done a fantastic job of integrating them into the GH storylines. Todd has been hilarious! I also feel badly for any turmoil this change has brought the actors personally as well as the writing staff of GH who have to deal with disrupted storylines. I wish PP the best with the revival of the other two soaps but also hope these actors can come back to GH.

January 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm
(40) TLW says:

I, for one, would love to see more scenes with Todd Manning and Luke Spencer interacting. Throw in some Anna Devane while we’re at it. Roger Howarth has made such an indelible mark on GH already in such a short period of time. He’s even won over many GHers who had never watched him on OLTL. It’s ridiculous to remove him (and Starr and McBain) from the canvas now. I frankly do not see where the competition is between the shows. GH is not online and most likely, these other two online soaps won’t air at the same time or they will be availavle for viewing whenever the fans want to watch them. By messing with the actors who are on GH now, PP stands to LOSE potential viewers who will be unhappy that they are messing with their TV soap.

January 22, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(41) Frankie Hoornaert says:

I know everyone has their own opinion to this, but personally I am sick about it. I love all three of them…..Starr, John and Todd…..especially Todd, lol. I think they have made GH’s ratings go up and the best it has been in years and Todd is just a plain old hoot…..he makes me laugh so hard, lol. I hope all the powers that be can work together and come up with an agreement where they can remain on GH. I’m really glad to have OLTL and AMC back though it’s kind of a bitter/sweet feeling. Whatever happens I will support them in any way I can!! :)

January 22, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(42) disneydreams says:

that makes me mad that they are being forced to leave by prospect park. i always watched all of the abc soaps. and am glad that AMC and OLTL are coming back. but not at the expense of these 3 having to leave GH. I think it should be up to them. If they want to stay on Gh which i wish they would than they should be able to.
that isnt right that they are being forced to leave and I hope that GH can get them back on and soon.

January 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm
(43) Phyllis says:

ABC SHOULD NEVER HAVE CANCELLED OLTL!!! NOW THEY WANT TO RUIN GH. I LOVED OLTL AND WITHOUT THE OLD CAST IT WILL SUCK BUT NOW WE ARE USED TO THEM ON GH-ABC JUST DOESN’T G:ET IT’!!!!

January 28, 2013 at 10:31 pm
(44) Sherry says:

HOW did these ABC/Prospect people NOT see this coming? Those three characters moving to GH was a great move to increase ratings…and to yank them away now is simply a stupid thing to do, and unfair to everyone involved.

February 3, 2013 at 9:28 am
(45) Mia says:

@ BarbieK ITA John is great with Natalie and Sam BELONGS with Jason, NO ONE can fill his shoes. WHAT A MESS!!!!! I KNEW that there would be a problem if they played OLTL characters. Well it was NICE having them!!!

March 20, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(46) dina says:

Man this really sucks, I cannot believe this. I hate that they are leaving. They are going to lose alot of fans.

March 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm
(47) MinoaMike says:

I told you this would happen when OLTL and AMC went down. I said ABC would do the same with GH. Now they have some actors and their lawyers can’t do anything to stop this. I’ve had it. Good by GH. It took months for me to get use to GH now ABC is doing it again. The writing on the wall is the Soaps have to go. Well dump them, I don’t care anymore. Good by.

March 22, 2013 at 1:36 am
(48) generalhospital says:

Honestly, you can do what you want, but I don’t know what you’re talking about. This has nothing whatsoever to do with ABC. These characters now belong to Prospect Park, and since Roger Howarth is returning in a few weeks, I see no reason why the other actors won’t be returning as well. As far as what ABC is doing, it seems to me that they are doing a lot of promotion of General Hospital, including having Ingo on Dancing with the Stars, and Kelly Monaco doing a special 20/20 episode, among other events.

April 12, 2013 at 10:52 am
(49) Adrian says:

GH is not the same without Starr, John, and Todd. It is really boring now with all of these old characters coming back to life.

April 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(50) Anthony says:

I loved the fact that One Life’s legacy would continue
on GH as the characters had been established and give the
current issue at hand, truly disappointing. The fact all three
will come back as new characters is a complete mistake,
expect some kind of backlash of sorts as I’ve come to love
and appreciate them as actors and characters. Once I see
the first few weeks of One Life online I will cease to watch as
with GH too, I barely see the point in doing so; ABC really dropped
the ball with the whole Prospect Park deal.

Also, you can’t seriously believe that these new characters will be
accepted because I won’t as they’re still the same ones they’ve
portrayed for many years, I am so very upset by this. Well once they
start losing viewership maybe they’ll amend the new character thing
but somehow I doubt that very much.