1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

The Latest on OLTL Actors - It's All Rumors

By February 2, 2013

Well, the rumors are flying all over the Internet about the fate of the OLTL actors who are now on General Hospital. If you take a look at the twitters, you'll notice that none of them are from the actors or Carlivati.

The latest is this: Prospect Park issued a statement saying they are willing to "share" the characters:

..."We continue to be willing to equally share the characters with 'General Hospital' and ABC. It's a win-win for the actors, the shows and fans, who love all of the shows and storylines. We hope to work out these agreements with ABC and the actors."

General Hospital says they "are trying to work things out," to paraphrase. This is no different from what they have been saying all along.

Here is what I think but don't take it to the bank: Prospect Park wants these characters back, and if possible, they want the actors. The actors don't want to go, the actors don't have to go. So someone at General Hospital got the idea, wait, why don't we just offer these actors other parts with new names?

When Prospect Park heard this, they panicked. Now they're releasing statements that they want to "share" these characters. Prospect Park thinks it can go up against ABC. I don't think so.

If they want to share, something tells me they'll have to "share" the characters with different actors which will be ridiculous. The characters will have a storyline on the new show and a storyline on GH. Stupid. Won't work.

The best solution - let GH keep these characters.

By the way, NOWHERE is Roger Howarth's name mentioned in any of these so-called articles or releases.

We don't know anything. I don't care what any tweet or other site says, we don't know anything yet.

Comments

February 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(1) Darlin says:

i like the way you thought this out as it does sound quite likely. Thanks for keeping us informed with what you do know. All we can do is just wait it out, fingers crossed.

February 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(2) mae says:

i don’t want star to leave michael i’d love sam to be with john the stars shouldn’t be jerked around

February 5, 2013 at 2:45 am
(3) Annette says:

I still don’t know what to think about this… but it looks like Michael Easton has another character to play. The vampire storyline could work in everyones favor after all ;)

So, if Todd goes on the lam with Heather and Lucy (I love this trio by the way) and he takes on a new name, is he still PP’s Todd? hehehe (as if Kevin would let them escape…)

February 5, 2013 at 9:09 am
(4) TLW says:

Ah, so Prospect Park IS willing to”share”! Well, in my opinion, PP has a few good reasons to be panicked. For one thing, they HAD Michael Easton last year with the first attempt to put OLTL online. He was one of the OLTL cast members who immefiately jumped on board. Then, PP screwed it all up. They got ahead of themselves before any of the union and financing deals had been worked out, so everything had to be shelved, thereby releasing the actors–Michael Easton included–to seek other work. At that time, we also knew the Alderson family (Kristen, who plays Starr and her brother, Eddie, who played Matthew on OLTL) had already decided to leave for the West coast—so they obviously had no interest in remaining on OLTL 2.0— and as usual, there was no mention of Roger Howarth and “Todd” either way. Second, we should ALL know by now, how ABC/Disney conducts business. They outright lie to the fans, they lie to the actors who work for them, they LIE—period. If—and I’m saying IF—there is truth to the rumor that GH is going to attempt to keep all 3 characters by giving them NEW names, especially if they continue to do so by using this vampire storyline, ABC is risking alienating many of the fans who have been sticking by the show, the lapsed fans who finally returned to the show when it pulled its 180 in improvement, and new fans—former OLTL devotees—who began watching because of their beloved OLTL characters AND the actors. I would rather see OLTL 2.0 minus those characters but having them regularly MENTIONED, in the event ABC would “share” them, than have Todd, John and Starr become someone else on GH. The majority of fans seem to be hating this PC-intensive vampire plot and I can’t blame them. My fingers are crossed that both PP and ABC will keep the FANS (and their own ratings and profits) in mind and that cooler (and saner) heads will prevail.

February 5, 2013 at 9:18 am
(5) carol says:

Please keep JOHN>>>>

February 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm
(6) Reta says:

IRT TLW: You said a mouthful. My theory for GH to have a way out is for this to all be a dream. This would however piss me off, but at least it can go away and characters stay in place.

With Caleb supposedly showing up at the end of yesterday’s episode let’s us know they plan to keep this crap around a bit. AND if they think we are crazy enough to think John has a twin vampire brother they really need to think again and not insult our intelligence.

February 5, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(7) Carolyn Wolfe says:

Love the new storyline about Vampires. It is a nod to the wonderful spin off Soap “Port Charles” that ended a few years back. It is terrific to re-visit the old characters and see the new spin! Love it and I know a lot of PC fans that hated seeing PC go off the air- will love it too. It is a fun and new twist for the characters rather than the same old themes over and over again.
I do hope GH can keep Michael Easton, Roger Howarth, and Kristen Alderson- they are terrific!!! They have fit in beautifully with the other actors and storylines on GH and it would be very sad to see them leave.
Prospect Park had their chance and blew it with these actors. I think they should release the actors to stay on GH! And again- Love the Vampire storyline and I beleive GH will pick up a lot of fans from, PC by keeping the storyline going. Here’s hoping.

February 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm
(8) generalhospital says:

Well, again, the actors aren’t the problem. The characters are. The actors can stay on GH, probably with new names.

February 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(9) TLW says:

Sorry, Reta! I usually DO say a mouthful. And MORE. LOL I’m just passionate about my soaps, I guess, and want to see the remaining one survive. And who knows? If AMC and OLTL get enough viewers online, some savvy TV network person might notice and decide to once again air them on TV. Stranger things have happened!

As for the PC-inspired story, I was tolerant of it as long as it was only a “tribute” to the former soap and not a long-term story with lasting impact on GH. PC had its fans, but not enough for the show to stick around very long. (I never watched it.) I can’t conceive of GH revolving around supernatural situaitons, even though I was a huge fan of Dark Shadows back in the day. I don’t WANT Luke or Anna battling forces of darkness or Lucy slaying vampires. I returned to GH when they started writing a real SOAP once again. If they keep the vampire stuff up, Prospect Park can probably expect even higher numbers than they’ve planned for the new incarnations of AMC and OLTL, because GH fans who love the traditional soaps will defect en masse.

February 5, 2013 at 6:21 pm
(10) Donna Clunan says:

I am getting more and more annoyed with Prospect Park regarding the OLTL actors on GH. Leave them alone and go in a different direction with the online soaps. Also, I am not sure I will like a vampire story at this point in time. I hope they don’t ruin GH.

February 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(11) Annette says:

I’m loving every second of it.. Michael Easton playing Caleb is great!
Too bad Allison had such a short run, but the young man playing Rafe is doing a terrific job.

Sharing characters sounds crazy but I’m game if the actors and writers can do it.

Otherwise, then I’m sure ABC will win out.. they have the bigger purse string. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy whatever comes down the pike… why not.. it IS my favorite show.

Oh I may vent sometimes because my imagination goes one way, or another.. but I love GH and I don’t think they are ‘ruining it’. I think it’s better than it has been in years and years.

February 6, 2013 at 10:08 am
(12) TLW says:

@Annette: They’ve already been sharing characters back and forth between the two soaps.. Blair and Tea have been there in person and Clint, Natalie, Liam, Dorian, Todd’s sister, (which would be Viki, but I’m not sure he used her name, I know he said, “my sister”)—-while never having had actual screen time, they’ve all been present on GH simply by people mentioning their names. So I can’t see why they wouldn’t want to continue this method of crossover when OLTL 2.0 hits the internet. PP has to remember that they are dealing with shows that have had a DECADES long history with ABC and with their fans. It’s just the way it is. Negotiating and working with that in mind seems the best way to handle a sticky situation. Plus, they should use, as a prime example, what happened when the former network The WB turned down Joss Whedon’s request for more money to produce Buffy the Vampire Slayer. BTVS jumped ship and moved over to UPN and both BTVS and its spin-off Angel, which remained on The WB, with NO chance for crossovers whatsoever (until Buffy’s last season, when the WB allowed the release of some Angel actors to tie up the mother show’s last storyline). The shows lose ratings and the fans lose true continuity and credibility for their shows’ storylines. There has to be a way to work this out.

February 6, 2013 at 10:10 am
(13) TLW says:

Also—lol—I have been so psyched for the return of so many favorite characters and actors. They did a WONDERFUL job with John Ingle’s/Edward Quartermain’s death and tribute. The stories were being written and performed like GH in its prime. Lucy came back—which was looking SO promisisng at first—and suddenly—WTH?—now she’s running around like a loony, wanting to kill John McBain/Caleb??? And everyone else is suddenly being drawn into this farce? Remember, the plots and storylines on Port Charles never crossed over onto GH and there was a reason for that. RC needs to remember the past so he does not repeat it. They TRIED the supernatural stuff on GH itself with the whole Casey the Alien bit and that went over like a lead balloon. It’s still written up in soap books as one of the worst, most ridiculous storylines ever concocted (along with OLTL’s attempt at sci-fi—the underground world of Eterna—ugh—I still haven’t recovered from the memories of those horrible jumpsuits! Or were they unitards? Who cares! They were terrible! LOL). Anyhoo—they might attract some Twi-hards here or there (which I am not—I’m a Truebie, but I watch True Blood for that fix, not GH)—but GH stands to lose the numbers who have been tuning in to see GH back once again to its *traditional* best.
I’m sorry for the lengthy posts, but I just like to explain how and why I form my opinions. I don’t want anyone thinking I’m a hater or negative person. There’s SOME logic anyway behind my reasoning! LOL

February 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(14) generalhospital says:

Hi TLW, Good comments. A few things to remember. Worth repeating. a) We have no idea how this vampire thing is going to go. We need to trust the writers a little. b) Port Charles did the vampire thing before it was fashionable. It is now incredibly fashionable, and as a result, GH is remaining high in the ratings and picking up younger viewers – not a bad thing; c) I just saw something on TV where they talked about bipolar people having delusions not unlike what Lucy is going through, when they’re not on medication. Obviously they’re not going to do a bipolar story because that is Maurice’s domain, but there are medical problems that can bring on this sort of thing. d) I think this threesome of Heather, Lucy, and Todd is very funny.

February 6, 2013 at 10:59 am
(15) Reta says:

IRT TLW: You are too funny. Good job dissecting your thoughts. I enjoyed reading it.

LUCY, HEATHER, and TODD the “Unholy Trinity.” Too funny. Todd’s one liners just crap me up. I will always be a faithful fan of GH BUT I need them to do something with the vampire thing.

February 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm
(16) Katie Marie says:

I will stop recording or watching General Hospital Soaps until this Vampire story line is over!

February 7, 2013 at 8:18 am
(17) TLW says:

@generalhospital and Reta: Thank you for putting up with me! LOL And I agree about the Unholy Trinity of Heather, Lucy and Todd. They could spin those three off into their own prime time comedy. And, in their own odd way, they are the ones who inject a little reality into the proceedings. How hilarious was Heather when she advised Lucy to take the bedroom where she found the clothes that fit her perfectly, even down to the BOOTS. I know, Heather! It’s a miracle, isn’t it? LOL!

I promise I’ll continue to be patient to see where this is all leading. I started to panic, not unlike Lucy. :) It just seems odd to me to keep switching back and forth between demonic forces being at work to Connie or the crisis at ELQ. It’s a bit jarring for me. And anyone who watched PC want to fill me in about one thing, please? Did Caleb always move like the vamps on True Blood or is that something new because of TB? I’m waiting for Eric to show up any minute now! (Come to think of it, I would not mind that at ALL. He and Todd trading barbs would be another riot to watch, as well as being the most amazing eye candy this side of Lady Godiva. *sigh*

February 7, 2013 at 9:22 am
(18) TLW says:

One message for Ron Carlivati: don’t forget to make Diane one of the members of the Vampire Council! Looks as if she didn’t get dusted on True Blood after all—although on TB, when vampires are slain, they turn more into what appears to be a crime scene rather than an allergy sufferer’s worst nightmare. LOL