1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Another Old-Timer to Return to 'GH'

By February 15, 2013

height=

And this is as close to being an original old-timer as you're going to get!

Rachel Ames (Audrey Hardy) has been revealed as a returnee by none other than Genie Francis on Katie.

Ames, 83, made her first film appearance in the 1951 film When Worlds Collide, (which starred Carolyn Hennesy's (Diane Miller) aunt, Barbara Rush). She joined the cast of General Hospital less than a year after it began, and became the wife of Dr. Steve Hardy (John Beradino), then the star of the show.

Audrey is the "Gram" referred to by Elizabeth Webber, as Steve Hardy actually fathered Jeff Webber, Elizabeth's dad.

Ames retired in 2009. Fans may recall how fantastic she always looked, and that she participated in the Nurses' Ball doing high kicks to the song "One."

It will be great to see her again.

Photo: Rachel Ames, John Beradino, and Emily McLaughlin of General Hospital/American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

February 15, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(1) Annette says:

I’m thrilled Rachel Ames came out of retirement for this! Thrilled!

February 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(2) Jenner says:

Yay!! &bnsp;&bnsp;

February 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm
(3) Reta says:

Wow….I see the writers are trying to GH back full circle, interesting!

February 18, 2013 at 10:29 am
(4) TLW says:

I was watching when Genie announced that on Katie and I said to myself, “Well, of course! You HAVE to bring her back for the 50th anniversary.” I remember how long it finally took back in the 60s for Audrey and Steve to get together and how disapproving Audrey’s sister, Lucille, would always be of any man she deemed unworthy. Actually, Lucille was usually just grumpy in general, if I remember correctly. LOL I still miss Steve Hardy’s presence on GH. He left such a loving and lasting impression on those of us lucky enough to have watched him throughout the years. John Beradino and Rachel Ames are two of the main reasons for GH’s greatness and longevity. :)

February 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm
(5) Carolyn says:

I am thrilled that Rachel Ames is coming back! They just couldn’t have the 50th anniversary without her. I think it was most gracious of the producers to invite her and honor GH’s legacy this way. She was and still is a true “original” of the show. Welcome back, Audrey! Can’t wait to see you!

February 18, 2013 at 7:44 pm
(6) Lia says:

Saw John Stamos on tv today. Said GH has talked to him about coming back for the 50 anniv. But he wants to come back for a longer period of time if his schedule permits. No final decision has been made by either side.

February 18, 2013 at 8:20 pm
(7) Lauri says:

I think it’s great they will have GRAM, Rachel Ames back on – it brings a true sense of history, continuity and that GH still cares about its core families. I LOVED seeing Laura (Genie Francis) back this week – she looks beautiful, has resumed the character, and what a hoot to hear her talk about being a grandmother. She’s terrific. Hoping Noah Drake returns – we need him. Patrick surely needs him. Emma needs to meet him. I hope Mac keeps Felicia with him – he deserves his family! Scotty – would be great to have him back on…. interacting with Laura … hmmm. that could be cool! The Frisco thing might be a reach… but does add some intrigue. Oh not so old, but how about Eli Love to give Anna a tumble again. Plus a mini rock concert would be fun…. enjoying the possibilities.

February 18, 2013 at 8:54 pm
(8) jerry davis says:

make this the 8th comment.
happy to hear that rachel ames is returning to
gh. here comes trouble scott-luke-laura,
please have the vampire story come to a end
soon.

February 19, 2013 at 4:36 am
(9) Tammy says:

I can’t wait to see Audrey.I love her, she is so sweet. Those were the good ole days with Audrey,Jessie,Phil,Steve,and Lucille.What about Peter and Diana Taylor..I also liked them. Frisco and Felicia ..I can’t stand them two..go away.Love the relish storyline. Anna and Duke are pathetic..they need to remarry and leave. I love Luke and Tracy. I like AJ too..would like to see him with Elizabeth.Loved Scotty..hoping he’s back with Laura.Would like to see Leslie back in a storyline with Laura. A possible storyline with Laura and her real mother Barbara Vining ?? Some of the storylines are good..but the Caleb and Lucy vampire storyline is just so stupid and fake…

February 19, 2013 at 9:10 am
(10) TLW says:

@Tammy: Wow, Jessie and Phil Brewer—and he was abusive toward her, too. What about Lee and Gail Baldwin? I remember when he was married to Meg, Scott’s mother. Meg wasn’t the most stable woman on the planet. I beiieve she was played by Elizabeth McCrae—the one who also played Gomer Pyle’s girlfriend, LouAnn Pouvey (sp?). Whoa, Memory Lane Time! lol

February 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm
(11) Reta says:

You all took a long trip down memory lane. No trip complete without the Donnelly’s.

February 20, 2013 at 2:38 am
(12) Annette says:

Would love to see Sean and Tiffany return but don’t think that is possible…

Today was the first day I liked Frisco. I don’t want him interrupting Mac and Felicia’s romance, and up until now I have felt like he was using Maxie to get to Felicia, but finally, for once in her life, Frisco is being a protective dad and also explained where Maxie gets some of her bad decision-making.

I’m actually looking forward to more of this storyline, and of course, The Britch finally getting her come-uppance.

Also, loved the return of ‘The Ice Princess’ or at least a hint of it as I hope Robert will be close on it’s heels as will Helena…. Then wouldn’t it be great to have the young guard ‘Lulu, Dante, Nicholas (puleeeze!!!), Lucky (recast already), and Ethan (recast if need be) work with the old guard (Luke, Laura, Robert, Anna) to solve the case.

You know Faison/Gerry are involved so this could bring about the return of Robin. I always said Helena was involved!

Giddy at the possibilities before us!

February 20, 2013 at 8:38 am
(13) TLW says:

Reta and Annette, I would also love to see the return of Sean and Tiffany, like they did when Robert was sick on GH: Night Shift. I was worried that perhaps Sharon was no longer in good enough health to return, but I looked her up on this Twitter page run by someone who has contact with her and it seems she’s actually doing very well, which I am so thrilled to hear. She went through complete HELL with the osteonecrosis surgery experience. She’s a wonderful, gracious and brave lady. We need to Donellys back to help Luke and Laura get to the bottom of the “Kingsford Charcoal On A Stick”. LOL

February 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(14) FernandeAlice says:

Happy days are here again!………Laura, Luke, and the Ice Princess!!!!!

February 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm
(15) Reta says:

BECKI, ANNETTE & TLW:

Things are really heating up. Here is what think. Olivia’s visions so far have come to pass. Picture Sabrina in the shower with Steven Lars. When the deed is done he exits and gets stabs by Heather who meant to stab Sabrina. Just a thought.

Kate/Connie is making me ill. Seriously, she’s mad at super fine adorably handsome Sonny AND she’s the one with DID–iCant. Please get her together writers.

February 22, 2013 at 5:03 pm
(16) Becki says:

Reta, I’m scared that you might be on to something there. I really can see absolutely no reason that Sabrina should end up in the shower with Steven. If they do, I cannot imagine they’ll be naked though. Maybe she’s 6 sheets to the wind over her dismay at “killing” Carlson, and he’s trying to sober her up.

Annette, I also liked Frisco’s exchange with Britch, but to me, the look on her face was “Man, you really don’t know who you’re messing with”. And if that was the case, that might actually be worth watching. Britch vs. Frisco the Fixer…

February 22, 2013 at 9:10 pm
(17) Annette says:

Reta & Becki

I missed yesterday as they aired the funeral for the deputy who was shot and killed by Dorner during the GH slot. We recorded it on SoapNet but are behind until tonight when we play catch up!!

But… I don’t see how Sabrina would be nekkid in the shower with Steve. It is improbable… Unless…..
The Britch is truly Lisa 2.0.

The Britch sets up something to crash glass into Steve’s nekkid abdomen…and makes it look as if Sabrina (with her inappropriate crush) is the murderer. Olivia rushes in to see nekkid Sabrina with a nekkid, wet, bloody Steve in her arms. Now it looks as if Sabrina has killed TWO innocent men!

Olivia is on a rampage, Dante seeks revenge for his mother, the Nurse’s Ball is in grave peril, and the only one who believes Sabrina is a bereft Patrick who visits her at Ferncliff regularly as she was deemed insane.

Robin returns just as Patrick and Sabrina kiss. She is wheeled into Ferncliff by her father, Robert, who finally recovered from his coma, searched and found her. Broken by Jerry, Robin is brought to Ferncliff for so much needed mental rehab. Patrick is torn. Sabrina completely cracks and her DID surfaces and she starts calling herself Serena.
Patrick rushes to Robin’s side. Eventually Scotty Baldwin realizes that Sabrina/Serena is his daughter, and Miguel’s adopted cousin!

February 22, 2013 at 9:17 pm
(18) Annette says:

TLW

The Kingsford comment STILL has me laughing :)
Omg!

I thought it looked like a marshmallow that had been too long in the bbq pit and then shellacked.

Either way I don’t remember what it looked like back then but a diamond in the rough? Hahaha :) awesome!

February 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm
(19) TLW says:

Annette, Becki and Reta (alphabetical so no one feels slighted by order—lol), you ALL have me cracking up with the scenarios you’re painting about GH’s “upcoming events”! I also cannot see a logical reason why Sabrina would end up naked in the shower with Steven. However, when has logic ever mattered on soaps? :D

I’m having a better time with Kate/Connie than I am with Lucy the Vampire Slayer. (I have to give Kelly Sullivan major props, btw, for not being afraid to look as distraught and devastated as her character IS on the show—that chick is one hot mess! Ha!!! But, I BELIEVE her agony and distress!) However, If Lucy says one more time, “But, I’m the Vampire Slayer!” which was obviously ripped off back in the day from Buffy (which began its run in 1997), I will lose my mind. What’s left of it anyway. Seriously. I’m wishing I had it DVR’d because I’d FF through that storyline. As hot as Michael Easton is, it’s getting on my nerves.

Waiting to see what that Ice Princess Briquette story will amount to! lol I’m loving the return of so many of our old favorites who are still our present favorites. Luke’s gotten a little frostier on top, but they all look great! Genie never changes! Have to single out a wonderful scene last week: who else also loved it when Lulu was disparaging Scott to Laura and Scotty pipes up, “Look who’s back!” LMAO! They’re all still in top form.

February 25, 2013 at 10:16 pm
(20) Reta says:

BECKI, I think we are on to something with Britch one upping Frisco’s threat. ANNETTE, Lisa 2.0–I love it! Good analogy–I’m definitely in on that one.

TLW, could not agree more about this vampire crap. Lucy had me screaming laughing today when she screamed Caleb come out! Duh, he’s going to leave if he knows your there. However, I commend the writers for making since out of the vampire NOW serial killer theory. Whatever it is I hope it wraps up soon. Caleb can bite Britch and take her with him.

CONNIE/KATE needs a better role. This is way old.

February 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm
(21) Becki says:

So we know what happened with Sabrina and Steve. Finally. Big Whoop. I love and hate that Scott is back. I’m surprised that I still find him as smarmy as ever. It’s like you just can shower enough after a run in with Scott.

Yesterday’s scene with Lucy screaming out for Caleb was funny, but what absolutely made it for me was the look John gave her… brilliant. I must say these days McBain/Caleb is giving Todd a run for his money in my fantasy life.

I also enjoyed Kelly Sullivan (Connie/Kate) yesterday. I found that in some ways Kate was acting a lot like Connie. I find Kate is very together and determined, like “this is my plan, and this is how I’m going to execute it” whereas Connie is “this is what I want, I’m going to get it, get the hell out of my way”. Yesterday Kate was totally “get out of my way”, which made me wonder if they are closer to being integrated than either might think.

February 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm
(22) Reta says:

Well Ladies, we were partially right about Steven Lars stabbing. Heather has to be part cat. She is like on her 4th life. If she survived the river the door is left wide open for Jason to be alive.

Kate/Connie is making me crazy. I need that to be over.

February 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(23) TLW says:

Thank goodness, Steven is okay! So far. And Heather has actually turned herself in. Who saw THAT one coming? (And her hugging Rafe and telling him how sorry she was that he witnessed his mom being stabbed to death by Caleb.) Not ME! lol Heather found her lost mind!

Is today the end of the serial killer/vampire storyline? (I, too, was somewhat relieved when Caleb was theorized to actually be a serial killer who vanished.) I’m hoping so, but the little bit where Lucy couldn’t get the ring off Caleb’s hand has me a little on edge. But, he sure LOOKS dead. NOW can Lucy get back to her problems with CoeCo cosmetics and the Nurses Ball? Can she reunite with Doc?