1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Michael and Kiki: First or Second Cousins?

By June 20, 2013

From our erudite viewer, Barbara Reader:

Jason was A.J.'s half-brother, since they had the same father and different mothers. Hence, Jason was Michael's half-uncle. Similarly, Kiki is Michael's half-first-cousin.

Typically, siblings share TWO of TWO parents (100%) and first cousins share two of four grandparents (50%). Second cousins share two of eight grandparents (25%).

Because Lauren (Kiki) and Michael are half first cousins, they share one of four grandparents (25%) and are only as closely related as second cousins.

...There are no societies I know of which consider second cousin relationships incestuous. Their blood relationship is comparable to that of second cousins.

Famous people who married their second cousin: Albert Einstein, Rudy Giuliani, and Johann Sebastian Bach.

Comments

June 20, 2013 at 11:01 pm
(1) Reta says:

I’m sorry but that’s just disgusting! In my family a cousin is a cousin. I can’t even think of my 25th cousin in that way.WRITERS PLEASE NO WITH SUGAR ON TOP.

June 21, 2013 at 2:47 am
(2) Mel says:

It’s still too close for comfort with Michael and Kiki together if Franco is really a Q and Kiki is his cousin. I can’t see marrying one unless they were at least a 4th or 5th cousin. Wow, Reta, I have to say I don’t even know who my 25th cousins are. More power to you if you do. I would think by the time you get to 25, it could be more like six degrees of separation in that there are many, many potential love matches you could be related to without knowing it. In fact, didn’t that very thing happen to Kevin Bacon and his wife, Kyra Sedgwick?

June 21, 2013 at 10:13 am
(3) Reta says:

MEL, thanks for your point of view and insight. My point is, if I know who my cousin is regardless of where they are on the family tree I personally could not knowingly date or have a intimate relationship with them. Although some people are ok with that sort of thing but I am not. In the bible days that was a whole other story because people were commanded to keep the lineage of their blood line so it was acceptable and expected. With that said, when you get right down to it we are all related as sons and daughters of Adam and Eve. HOWEVER, given the laws of the land we are governed by today things are different.

Respectfully submitted…………..

June 21, 2013 at 11:47 am
(4) Becki says:

I read Barbara’s post, and as Maria pointed out at the time, while Barbara took the time to work that out, not convinced that the writers did. Granted, it makes it slightly easier to swallow, but like Reta, my stomach still heaves violently at the thought.

That being said, since the writers are intent on shoving this in our faces every other day, I suppose it’s gonna come out that Ava was sleeping with another man at the time, and Kiki isn’t actually Franco’s, so Michael and Kiki are free to carry on as much as they wish.

Either that, or this is their nasty way of forcing viewers who are having trouble making the transition from Starr to Kiki get there that much faster.

June 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(5) Barb says:

There is another possibility… namely, we are relying on the word of Heather (and so is Franco!) that Franco was Jason’s twin brother. Let’s see… how reliable is Heather’s word exactly… Hmmm…. does she EVER tell the truth? Could she have made this up just to make Franco nuts?

IOW, Ava and Franco and Lauran/Kiki could all be completely innocent of deception and Franco might not be a Quartermaine at all.

I am beginning to think, however, that Sam’s father could be part of the Jerome crime family.

June 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(6) Becki says:

Barb, you’ve made my day. I like that option very much better.

June 21, 2013 at 7:33 pm
(7) juan says:

I agree with everthing Reta states. I cannot have sex with any family member when I know that they are related to me. it is wrong and disgusting.

June 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm
(8) generalhospital says:

Juan and others, there isn’t anything disgusting about being married to your cousin unless it’s your first cousin, which in many states, as Barb pointed out, is illegal. I mean, the Royal Family in the U.K. is inbred, Philip and Elizabeth are some sort of distant cousins, as were Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, Kyra Segwick and Kevin Bacon, tons of people. I’m sure Kyra and Kevin didn’t even know until later they were distantly related.

I did a DNA thing with ancestry.com and I get tons of matches of other people who are my 5th to 9th cousins, but as ancestry.com points out, the 5th to 9th cousin thing is just a guess, they might not be related at all, they just have some haplotype or whatever in common. I mean, I’m Italian on both sides, and some of these people are Irish through and through. So genealogy is a strange thing.

As far as theories about Franco and Kiki not being Qs, or Kiki not being one, that is entirely possible. The writers have lots of possibilities there if they want Kiki and Michael to be together.

June 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm
(9) Barb says:

I have never dated a cousin, but I can understand the attraction. I once dated a guy who was the foster son of a distant cousin (never adopted). We did almost everything the same way. All those little thing you fight about… nothing to fight about. We were raised in households that handled problems the same way. We cleaned dishes the same way. We did laundry the same way. It was SO EASY. He was a guy who didn’t want to marry anyone (he is now 77 and has never been married). But… I’m divorced. I remember the fights over TRIVIA. I didn’t dry the dishes the way he wanted, etc. This would have been EASY.

I also have some cousins who are both first and forth cousins because their parents were my mother’s sister and my mother’s third cousin. Third cousins share ONE of EIGHT great-grandparents.

Finally, we are ALL cousins. We are all descended from a woman the anthropologists call “Eve” who lived 150,000 to 200,000 years ago.

June 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm
(10) Marvan says:

I don’t think any of it makes any difference. Yesterday Shawn shot Olivia, today Ava shot Olivia. See how simple it is? Tomorrow Michael and Kiki won’t be related at all! Maybe Michael wasn’t AJ’s or Carly’s .. Baby switch … hehehe
Just so long as we can move on to ANYTHING that resembles our old General Hospital.

June 25, 2013 at 3:26 am
(11) ammiey says:

it would be hard to watch..i wont!!

June 25, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(12) Snook says:

Rita, I thoroughly agree with you. As long as there is a bloodline they are family and it’s incest! This storyline should be ended as soon as possible. Give Michael another live interest before this whole thing gross out most of the GH fans.

June 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm
(13) Marvan says:

Aw come on people, read my post. They’re not related and even if they were, so what? It’s a soap opera! Kiki and Michael are a couple in real life so we’ll just leave it at that.

June 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm
(14) Joanne says:

Comment #13 Thank you Marvan, I couldn’t of said it better myself!!

June 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm
(15) MADELYN says:

POINT BLANK I THINK IT IS GROSS THEY ARE STILL FAMILY 1ST OR SECOND COUSIN THEY’RE STILL FAMILY I HOPE THIS WILL BE GH DOWNFALL I LOVE GH BUT THIS IS TOO MUCH

June 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm
(16) lk says:

Of course, it will turn out that Michael and Kiki are not blood related somehow. Ava probably cheated on Franco. DNA tests seem to be the theme of GH this year – Maxie is bound to have one by Xmas and we are about to find out….duh duh duuuuuh….about Brit and Patrick’s baby. So, soon enough, there is going to be one for Kiki too (maybe to prove she really is a Quartermaine Heir.

Anyway, regarding cousins marrying- even distant ones- the reason it is a bad idea is the same reason why purebred dogs have so many problems- it is just a biologically bad idea. It allows any bad or mutant genes to get stronger, so that the lineage gets weaker. This happened all the time with royals in Medieval and Ancient times. Frankly, it makes me just go YUCK.

June 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm
(17) Terri says:

These situations are the reason you used to be required by law to have a blood test when applying for a marriage license. Maybe in real life, it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to reinstate that, seeing as how there are so many anonymous sperm donors these days. You really could become engaged to your half-brother or cousin! And not just on a soap opera either! :-O

June 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm
(18) Barb says:

No, there was no blood test for relationship in the 1920s or 1930s. DNA wasn’t chemically understood until the 1950s. The Human Genome Project was proposed in 1987, begun in 1990, and completed in 2003, just ten years ago.

The blood test was about VD. It was generally assumed that a woman getting married was a virgin, but the man had some experience, usually with professionals who had been exposed to hundreds or thousands of clients. The use of prostitutes has declined markedly since the sexual revolution. A study of Yale graduates in the late 1940s showed that something over 75% of them had used prostitutes, while a similar study in the 1970s showed that number under 10%. Prostitution is a major disease vector.

The blood test was NOT about incest… and again, sex with a second cousin is NOT incest in any jurisdiction, no matter how you feel about it. No one is telling you to date your fifth cousin. But unless you’ve done a good job on your family tree, you probably don’t know it if you have.

June 29, 2013 at 6:28 am
(19) Denise says:

Maybe if Michael and KiKi get together and have a child she will have the puppy that Olivia keeps seeing. (This is a joke people.)

July 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm
(20) H.F.Washington says:

Marvan, I totally agree with you at #10 & #13.
#15 madelyn, if you’re waiting for GH’s downfall, stop watching. People, NONE of this is real. Just “FICTIONAL” storytelling. If you don’t enjoy it, change the channel. I can understand getting frustrated with the soaps at time, but FANS, use your thinking caps.

July 2, 2013 at 9:49 am
(21) Reta says:

DENISE: You just shed light on yet ANOTHER storyline left open-ended. Why was she seeing that puppy? Only thing I can think of is that Maxie keeps the baby. She and Spinelli move away to raise the child and sad Lulu and Dante buy pup because they can’t have a child.

July 2, 2013 at 8:19 pm
(22) Becki says:

Reta, to answer your question, the pup wasn’t a puppy, but a jackal, symbolizing Spinelli. I don’t remember if this was explained just before or just after Maxie miscarried, but it was sometime around the Christmas / New Year time frame. Seems to me that it was a conversation between Ellie and Spinelli, when he was running around with the “puppy”, and it was named Rocco – which made me think that Maxi was carrying a boy.

July 5, 2013 at 10:04 am
(23) Reta says:

Hi Becki……..missed your post. Good to hear from you.

I totally missed the whole jackal pup thing. Thanks for shedding some light on that for me. I do remember Spinelli walking what I thought was a puppy. Too funny really.

As I would of guessed it, Maxie has finally found her maternal instinct and IF she gives the baby to Lulu and Dante it will be short lived in my opinion. Of course the baby will get sick and need something only Maxie or Spinelli can give it.

July 9, 2013 at 3:48 am
(24) Joe Cistanzi says:

Silas is Kikis real dad not Franco.Ava just has an agenda and needs Franci to do her bidding while all along she has a tie to Duke.cmon do ya think Duke is back just to sit and listen to Anna?Sams dad my bet is someone from GH past like why is Sean and Tiffiny really coming back nit just for Mac And Felicas wedding.Alexis had to of met up with someone but what sge is Sam suppose to be?

July 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm
(25) stacy bezner says:

michael and kiki are equal to second cousins. its a soap. ava most likely cheated on franco with dr. clay. the only thing we know is that franco and jason are twin sons of alan from susan.

July 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(26) stacy bezner says:

michael and kiki equal to second cousins. but since ava cheated on franco with dr. clay, kiki is not a relative. the bone marrow will ;come from franco.

July 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm
(27) lmk66 says:

I said earlier that I had a feeling Franco was not Kiki’s real father, and not that Silas Clay is in the picture, I am sure of it. Ava definitely is milking this for the Quartermaine fortune. Also, Sam’s dad- hmmmm- not sure about Duke Lavery. But, I think he will turn out to be another dark and complex man from GH’s past.