1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Steve Burton Event Leaves Unanswered Questions

By June 18, 2009

Thu Jun 18 18:59:28 2009

It was mentioned on Twitter that Steve Burton's recent fan event in the New York area was unsettling. Well, he didn't answer any direct questions about re-signing. He mentioned that his contract is up in three months. He said that he is satisfied with his job and emphasized that he doesn't have any control over what his character does.

The fans did feel that he indicated that Jason and Sam are happening over the summer. However, it is also rumored that Kelly Monaco is looking to move on, so as usual, we'll have to see what happens. Burton himself is also auditioning and is supposed to be starring in a western, but nothing definite on that yet.

I am going to hold positive thoughts about Burton's contract, as I have all along. I believe that ABC will make every effort to accommodate him, whether it be more time off, the ability to leave and do other projects, whatever. It's obvious that he wants more time off, as he said that he would love to play Luke because of Tony Geary's vacation deal.

The soap opera genre is in a state of flux right now, and Burton commented that the writers strike cost an absolute, mind-blowing fortune and set the industry back on its heels. It is unclear what is going to happen to General Hospital and to soaps in general.

Burton seems to be the type that takes each day as it comes, and he has a wait and see attitude. The fans, of course, want something more definite. However, he has to be diplomatic and careful in what he says.

Just an opinion - it's possible that if he doesn't want to re-sign, he will sign a short-term contract just to see how it goes. My original information was that he had to inform the producers right around this time if he was re-signing. That makes sense from a writing point of view. My suspicion? He's staying, but the terms haven't been worked out yet.

I know a lot of people don't like the mob, and there's no question, it's taken over the show. Mob or no mob, Jason is a critical character as he's portrayed by Steve Burton. I, for one, would hate to see him go.

Photo: Adam Larkey

Comments

June 18, 2009 at 9:50 pm
(1) Barb says:

I would also hate to see him go, but if it meant less mob, I’d accept it. Of course, that’s entirely unnecessary, since he could go back to the Qs. But beyond the issue of plot, there’s morality. He who lives by the sword… Jason’s character, and Sonny’s, should end in a hail of bullets between mob gangs, with the PCPD coming in at the end to pick up the survivors, identify the bodies, and thank the FBI plants that made driving the mob out the Port Charles possible.

June 18, 2009 at 11:30 pm
(2) Ramondo (Scottsdale AZ) says:

I hope Steve Burton comes back. I like the mob just not all the time. I find this Breanna SL refreshing. Jason is one of the most important characters on this show. I hope they don’t turn him into a dysfunctional Q bickering all the time. That gets real old. I also don’t need things to be like they were back in the 70′s or 80′s. Everyone always wants the old days but they are exactly that the old days. The acting was horrible! I went on to You Tube and watched old episodes w/ Luke and Laura and they are such better actors today especially Laura. I know she is not a regular but when she is on her acting is really good.

June 19, 2009 at 1:28 am
(3) Cat says:

I’m fine with the mob stories….as long as there is BALANCE. We need more family stories, and more stories at the hospital. Also, we need more character-driven storylines. It seems like the current head writer isn’t satisfied if he doesn’t have either a mob shootout, virus, or fire (or some combination thereof) on a regular basis.

As for Steve, who I adore. I can understand him wanting more time to spend with his family. IF he leaves, I think he should be given a killer (no pun intended) storyline dealing with Jason suddenly getting all his Q memories back, and then having to reconcile Jason Quartermaine with Jason Morgan. He would have the difficult task of blending the two into a “new” Jason.

June 19, 2009 at 1:07 pm
(4) J.J. says:

I don’t mind Jason most of the time. Acutally I really do like him. What I don’t like is his holier than thou attitude that he has. He acts as though anyones actions he disapproves of should be punished but does not believe the same for himself. I know it’s the mob so of course there are double standards but what happened to Michael was AN ACCIDENT. Claudia never wanted for anything to happen to Michael and had no idea he was there. It’s not her fault Sonny has enemies and he chose to go without body guards and allow his son to come to the warehouse. Jason needs to realize that, and soon. I also don’t like that he basically co-parents Michael with Sonny and Carly but completely avoids his own sons life. He needs to get his life and priorities straight. I think the mob has been forced down our throats for son long it has just left me in a very negative place when it comes to the characters of Sonny and Jason.

June 19, 2009 at 9:18 pm
(5) ohghfan says:

When will the PTB listen to the fans…no Jason and Sam…. Been there done that.

June 20, 2009 at 1:13 am
(6) Linda Ward says:

I’m all for Jason/Sam. She doesn’t spend all her time whinning when they have problems. She has spunk. I hopw something can be worked out for Mr. Burton. He makes the show for me. It would be refreshing to have Jason do some more besides play nanny to so many characters.

June 21, 2009 at 7:24 am
(7) MJK says:

I was at that event in NYC,,And Steve did NOT say Sam and Jason were happening.
My impression..he is staying.
I am the one that got in an argument with him..Steve knows me quite well..LOL

June 22, 2009 at 3:20 pm
(8) Diane says:

Even Super Jase can not save GH from being the turkey it has become. No one wants to see another 10 plus years of Super Jase saving Sonny and his family. And lets not forget Sonny has a lot of people besides his family that Jason is responsible for, like Olivia, Mike etc. Since TPTB can’t let Jason be with his real family – Elizabeth and the boys. They think the viewers will settle for reruns. Thanks but NO THANKS

June 22, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(9) Barbara says:

Steve Burton is the ONLY reason I keep watching GH. If he goes, I am finished. None of the other characters are worth watching.

June 22, 2009 at 3:56 pm
(10) elaine says:

Jason is my favorite character. He has so many sides to him and his acting has gotten really wonderful over the years. In fact, his facial expressions can say so much, without even speaking. I hope he stays, but is allowed to do other acting.

June 23, 2009 at 11:46 am
(11) generalhospital says:

I completely agree, Elaine.

Truthfully, if GH loses Steve Burton, they’ve had it. If I were the producers, I’d give that guy anything he wants.

June 23, 2009 at 2:13 pm
(12) mae says:

i love steve GH won’t be the same w/o jason hope he stays but if he needs to go to grow i’ll be happy to see him wherever he goes.

June 24, 2009 at 1:16 pm
(13) Brenda Yancer says:

OMG!!! Steve Burton leave, lord help us all! That’ll leave the cutie-patuie Dr. Drake Jr. to drool over Yeah, I might be over the hill, but, I still know whose a cutie and whose not, eh?

July 6, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(14) Dallas says:

I want to see jason as a family man and instead of just a mobster it’s getting old him saving the same peole over again he needs elizabeth and cake Don’t leave steve burton

July 20, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(15) jasam fan says:

I think that if Steve B. and Kelly M. leave then there will be nothing to watch on GH anymore. I guess we can see the same old scenes with Carly, Jax, Sonny, Claudia. Boo that!!! I want my Jasam back together and I don’t want a new Jason or Sam, so GH do everything to keep them because the jasam fans want you to stay!!!!