1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Rachel Ames to Appear on 'GH' October 19

By October 5, 2009

emily-rachel-stuart

Rachel Ames, who first played the character of Audrey March Hardy in 1964, steps out of retirement to appear on General Hospital for the first time in two years on October 19.

The character of Audrey was married to Steve Hardy (John Bernadino), but when she started on the show, she was Audrey March, the sister of a nurse at GH, Lucille March.

Since it turned out that Jeff Webber was actually Steve Hardy's son, Audrey is the grandmother whom Elizabeth Spencer speaks of so often, and thus, the great-grandmother of Cameron and Jake Spencer.

Ames went on recurring status in 2003 and retired in 2007.

Before General Hospital and Port Charles, on which she also appeared, Ames was a stage actress and then Hollywood starlet under contract to Paramount Studios in the early '50s. Her first film (as Judith Ames) was the science fiction movie, When Worlds Collide in 1951. She was a guest star on nearly all of the big TV shows in the '50s through the early '60s, including The Virginian, Ironside, Wagon Train, Ben Casey, Perry Mason, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Science Fiction Theater.

Ames has the distinction of being the longest-running performer on ABC's longest-running daytime serial. In 2004, she received a Lifetime Achievement Emmy after three Outstanding Actress nominations.

On a side note, when Rick Springfield returned to General Hospital in 2005, he mentioned during an interview that he ran into Rachel Ames on the set and raved about how beautiful she remains, year after year. As anyone who ever saw her gorgeous gams kicking in "One" each year at the Nurses' Ball can attest, she is one lady who has never gotten older, only better.

Photo: Emily McLaughlin (Jessie Brewer), Rachel Ames (Audrey Hardy) and Stuart Damon (Alan Quartermaine) - American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

October 6, 2009 at 1:24 pm
(1) J.J. says:

I am thrilled by this news! I wish she had remained front burner throughout her years on the show, maybe then she would not have left. The Young and the Restless truly provides great material for their veteran actors/characters and clearly pays off in the ratings as they have been #1 for 20 years. I look forward to seeing Audrey again. Maybe we’ll get to see Bobbie again sometime soon??

October 6, 2009 at 5:00 pm
(2) Linda says:

Fantastic! Dying to see her. Hope they keep her on for a long time.

October 7, 2009 at 7:25 am
(3) Carl says:

Finally, something to entice me to watch an episode again. Glad to see the writers haven’t forgotten about Audrey. It’s great when the powers that be remember the show’s history. More please.

October 7, 2009 at 11:46 am
(4) ron says:

Good. But enough of the mob stuff already! They had a good storyline with Maxie and the gang and then went straight back to the mob and once again I fast forwarded the entire show!

October 8, 2009 at 3:01 pm
(5) tracy says:

It does not make sense to comment if all of your comments are edited or not used.

October 8, 2009 at 5:53 pm
(6) Deb says:

Always nice to see GRAMS!!!

Will she be attending Liz’s funeral??

October 12, 2009 at 6:26 pm
(7) Jammie says:

Why do you ask if she will be attending Liz’s funeral???????? Well, whatever the reason, I can’t wait to see her! She was always one of my favorites. I remember when she hid Tommy from Tom Baldwin and then passed him off as Steve’s son. Good story-telling!

October 12, 2009 at 8:25 pm
(8) Darlene says:

Yes! Yes! YES!!! I was so elated to hear she’s coming back. Even if it’s just for a few episodes it will be so nice to see her. It’s a shame that GH has gotten rid of most of the older actors. When I thought they were going to kill off Edward at the carnival I was determined to stop watching. I’m glad they didn’t and I’m glad they’re realizing families need their elders! So yay for Rachel!

October 12, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(9) yolanda smith says:

There was an episode recently where all the kids of Sonny were at Carly’s house, and Keifer came in, and Michael punched him. When the discussion went to the kids wanting Michael to discuss his anger with them, Molly popped up and said”that must be so disconcerting” I don’t know of any child that age that even knows that word, it probably would have been better for her to say “that’s so wierd” or someting other than what she said.

October 13, 2009 at 12:44 am
(10) Joe says:

All I can say is Bravo & Kudos to GH -Audrey’s back – hope more of her caliber comes home in the future !!

October 13, 2009 at 11:54 am
(11) mizbooty says:

It will be nice to see her. She seems to have left with no explanation :( To J.J. There was a split second sighting of Bobbie at Spixie’s non wedding, when the guests were filing out of the hall. I guess you blinked ;)

October 13, 2009 at 7:36 pm
(12) Jammie says:

I must have blinked too. I completely missed Bobbie.