1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Some 'GH' Stars May Be Leaving...and Some Returning

By September 7, 2011

height=200

As has been reported in the past, it has been rumored that some General Hospital stars will be departing. The following have contracts up for renewal: Kimberly McCullough, Jason Thompson, Julie Berman, Kelly Monaco, and Jonathan Jackson.

Both members of the Spencer family, Jackson (Lucky) and Berman (Lulu) have apparently stated in the past that they wanted out. It's possible one or both of them has had a change of heart since that was some time ago.I'm guessing Kimberly McCullough is leaving, and I won't guess on the others, except to say that if Dr. Scorpio is leaving, Dr. Drake may go along with her. However it shakes out, there will be one or two more major exits.

Some good news: Stuart Damon is going to be doing more taping! And it's just possible that we may be seeing Rick Hearst (Ric) once again. Alas, Robin Christopher (Skye) will be leaving in the next few weeks. Hopefully she'll make a return trip somewhere down the road.

Photo: American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.

Comments

September 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm
(1) J.J. says:

Robin Christopher is leaving?! That’s awful news. I love having her back. I really hope Robin and Patrick aren’t leaving.

September 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm
(2) Annette says:

Good news on Stuart Damon! Alan is in my all time favorite GH Characters second to Lila who was my favorite of all television, although I adore Edward who rounds out at #3!

I, too, have been reading reports everywhere that the Spencer kids will depart, Luke is on his way back, and then out, and back, and ABC-SID said Laura ‘could’ come back (except that Genie Francis is currently on another soap so unless she does moonlighting how does that work?)

Would hate to see Lucky go for too long as I love JJ and his band. Lulu (the character) needs to grow up, but love the actress JB and she and her hubby have a great line of dog and small pet beds!

As for The Drakes? Robin has been an integral part of the show so I’d hate to see her leave but I do understand any of these long term actors wanting a break – we’re just greedy in wanting them around for the long-term :)

Poor Skye… would have loved more of her!

Can’t wait to see who (besides Jax and Franco) GW brings back next!

November 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(3) Barbara Youlio says:

I think that Jonathan Jackson (Lucky Spencer) is the best actor on General Hospital. After all he did win an Emmy and he certainly deserved it. I don’t like him with Schivone. I hope she stays off the show. Her accent is so phony. He should be with Elizabeth. The story line is so much better with the two of them.

September 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm
(4) Barb says:

As long as they don’t KILL them, I’m content. If I were Robin and Patrick, I’d head for some major medical center where the Mob isn’t the town’s largest business. Maybe Singapore?

September 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm
(5) Tammy says:

I hope they all leave,except Sam.I like her and Jason.

September 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm
(6) Annette says:

You mentioned “a few old characters (who have probably been recast) will be returning due to an important death.” My mind goes to Ned, Dylan, …
And my mind goes to Edward.

I hope it isn’t Edward. Well, I hope it isn’t anyone important, but then again it wouldn’t be important, would it? It’s bad enough they are going to paralyze Kristina. First Michael in a coma, now Kristina is paralyzed. I can’t imagine what the future will be for Molly and Morgan or Joss (and this so soon after Jake was killed). Kids are the biggest targets on GH.

I think I read John Ingle wanted to retire but oh I love Edward, and the Qs. Skye’s repeated request/demand ‘don’t hurt Edward’ directed to Anthony has been prickling the hairs on my arms.

John Ingle is 83 – 2 years younger than my dad. If he’s ready for a break, he deserves it. He is a wonderful actor, and one of my favorites. But selfishly, I hope to see him for much, much longer.

September 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(7) lynze says:

I hope they get rid of the new Kate. Saw her first episode today and I cant stand her!!

September 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm
(8) denise says:

i dont like her either lynze please bring back the old kate!

September 16, 2011 at 10:54 am
(9) SANDRA says:

I agree I do not like the new kate.. don’t care for her acting nor her looks just doesn’t do justice for the orginal KATE HOWARD… I thought they were going to bring back old carly to play Kate would have worked out tons better… well if it is edward i hope they wait to kill him off after jason’s wedding …I am soooo glad to have spinelli back wooohoo.. and kristina paralyzed i think that is good i hope that helps to bring her down from the clouds she is on… she needs an attitude adjustment.Iam so glad lulu and dante broke up hopefully this new cop coming to GH will be dante’s new partner… i love shawn and his acting he just knows how to push sonny’s buttons and carly to… i will hate to see robing and patrick leave they are sooo important to GH but i think i understand i hope they give them a great exit…and i like the idea of MATT AND ELIZABETH together …

September 12, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(10) Carol says:

Jonathan Jackson just came back on GH not too long ago and they fired the old Lucky to get him on. I hated that, as I loved the old Lucky they had on.
I hope Lulu stays… and I do like Robin too. I’m not very fond of Skye. It’s just sad that anyone is leaving. If John Ingle wants to retire, they could bring on another actor,,, as they used to have a different Mr. Q. on before. I like having a Mr. Q. on. I can’t imagine GH without the older gentleman heading all the Q’s. I’d like to see more of Alice too. I wish they’d do more of the Q’s at home. That was always so much fun.

September 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(11) Annette says:

Edited from Wikipedia:

Jonathan Jackson originated Lucky. He left in May 1999, and Jacob Young played the character Feb 2000-Feb 2003 when Greg Vaughan took over. Greg Vaughan was let go to allow Jonathan Jackson to reprise the role for the first time in over ten years.

David Lewis played the first Edward Quartermaine 1978-1989, and again 1991-93 although Les Tremayne was a temporary recast in 1988 when David Lewis was ill.
Jed Allan played the role March 2004-April 2006

John Ingle, the Edward we know and love today played the role of EQ Aug 1993-Feb 2004 was let off contract, got a job on another soap (I think Mickey Horton on Days) so Jed Allan took over. John Ingle returned in April 2006 and we are so lucky to have him today.

As I said in an earlier post, he is 83 and might be ready to retire. But.. it’s supposition on my part as to who they are getting rid of.

Can the character of Edward Quartermaine live on forever? I didn’t believe it possible after David Lewis left GH but John Ingle has been remarkable and along with Stuart Damon, Anna Lee and David Lewis remain my favorite daytime actors.

Should the character of Edward Quartermaine live on forever? That is another question. We suspend disbelief on a show like GH every day. Without drama and love there is nothing to tie the stories together.

It probably wouldn’t make sense to continually recast him. Whenever John Ingle does decide to leave, Edward’s death story does provide a built in storyline, with returning characters (Ned, Lois, Dylan, Skye, Maya, et al) whenever you have returning characters you always have former/new audience tune in.

Sigh.

September 13, 2011 at 7:21 am
(12) caseyd1025 says:

I, personally, could care less if Robin and Lulu leave. I find Lulu to be annoying and Robin boring. I just never got into the Robin story-lines. I am afraid for GH. With OLTL and All my Children going off the air I fear GH will be soon to follow. The older actors and actresses are the ones giving it new life.
I like the new Kate better than the old one. I think it would be good to see her with the bartender more often. I think they had a good thing going for a bit. Skye is definitely a plus to GH. Hope she sticks around for a long time.

November 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(13) Barbara Youlio says:

I am so sick of the Lisa character. How many times can she get away with all the stuff she does? Kelly Monaco is so adorable with the hunk Steve (Jason). The new Kate looks exactly like the stand in for Kirsten Storms (Maxie) Lilly something. Are they getting a new more mature Christina for Dodge now that she’s going off to Yale?

September 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm
(14) Sherry says:

I hope they all stay except Kelly…Sam gives me a headache, and I hate having to FF through Jason’s scenes.
Although lately, Lulu has really been bothering me…I’ve always really loved her, but this mess she’s created making Dante jump back and forth between business and professional relationships with her is way out of line. She needs to get it through her head that there are things that he CAN”T tell her, whether it’s about Lucky or not. When he’s on a case, he can’t discuss EVERYTHING with her.

April 17, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(15) linda says:

please bring Star Manning back , I been whatching her sence a baby on OLTL, Please bring the origenal LuLu Spencer back, the new one just doesnt cut it.!