1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

Viewers, You're Still Panicking - Stop!

By January 22, 2013

Goodness, my mailbox is full of panicked, angry viewers!

We need to get a few things clear here.

• "They shouldn't have gotten rid of Jason." It wasn't General Hospital's decision to lose Jason -- Steve Burton left on his own, and the demise of the character was pretty much slapped together. You can yell at the show about many things, but getting rid of Steve Burton isn't one of them.
  • Isn't it time they recast Jason? Ron Carlivati, GH's head writer states, as was previously reported here, that Jason will not be recast at present because the writers want to explore new possibilities for Sam. Okay, you disagree, but no, it isn't time they recast Jason because they're not going to.
  • "I hate the vampire storyline." People, there is no vampire storyline. The writers took advantage of the ex-Port Charles vampires being on the show to highlight Lucy losing it so they could bring Kevin Collins back to help her. I have no idea if there will be flashbacks, but I don't think we're going to see full-blown new scenes with vampires.
  • "Do whatever you have to do to keep the OLTL imports." Read the blog. Contractually the producers can't do anything. They cannot use these characters at present. Again, don't blame GH.
  • "I'm sick of all these people coming and going. I'm waiting for Lucky to come back." Keep waiting -- he's starring on Nashville. If the producers can, they will try to fit him in for the anniversary according to his schedule.
  • The OLTL actors shouldn't be forced to move back across the country." No one is forcing them to do anything. They do not have to appear on One Life to Live.

Prospect Park has taken back the CHARACTERS, not the actors. The actors are under contract to ABC Daytime.

General Hospital is trying to work out being able to use the characters later on. On the current character list for the new show, only Todd is mentioned.

You can bet that the producers and writers of General Hospital don't want to lose these characters, and how they would be brought back with new names is beyond me. But this is a soap opera. Anything is possible.

Please all remember this: A year ago, General Hospital was looking into a large garbage can with its name on it. Prospect Park's financing had fallen through. We have no idea what's going to happen now, whether people will want to watch the new Llanview show online, how General Hospital will get around this, or anything else.

We couldn't have anticipated GH coming back in the ratings as well as it has, any more than we could have anticipated Prospect Park rising from the ashes.

All of this is good news for soaps. Viewers need to relax and not go through the ceiling each time there is any news. We have weathered a huge storm already. I think we can get through anything else that comes.

• Comments

January 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    (1) Karen Apa says:

I’m sorry but it really bothers me that ABC let us get close to ex-oltl characters on GH and now they are taking them away. I never watched oltl but I love Todd, John, and Starr are a slap in our faces since we are the ones who kept abc soaps going stronger then they’ve been in a long while.

January 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm
    (2) Annette says:

Well said, Maria!

I think we all (myself included) need to sit back, relax, and enjoy and be grateful for the wonderful new lease on life that GH has enjoyed.
    This time last year we weren’t sure GH would even make it to the 50th Anniversary.

Now we have everyone and their cousin coming back on canvas and a wide variety of interesting storylines. NO, not everyone will be pleased with every storyline, but at least there is a variety now and a lot of creativity!

It’s not only time to relax I think it’s time to be happy!

January 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm
    (3) Linda says:

Annette you will never relax.

January 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm
    (4) Annette says:

Linda, I’m not sure how to take that.
    Is that a positive, like, “hey Annette, you’re so full of life, rock on!”
    or an insult, like, “hey Annette, STFU”

I’m going with the positive, so rock on, Linda!

January 23, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    (5) Maryann says:

What ever happened with the Robin story line? It seemed to disappear right around Christmas last year. She was alive, they were in Switzerland, what gives???

January 23, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    (6) Maryann says:

What ever happened with the Robin story line

January 23, 2013 at 10:39 pm
    (7) generalhospital says:

Maryann, the Robin storyline will be back probably around the 50th anniversary. As I explained, there are too many characters and stories for the writers to concentrate on them all at once. They may introduce them and then come back to them when it’s time for them to be developed.

January 24, 2013 at 12:35 am
    (8) Ginny says:

Enough of the D.I.D. STORY. STILL LOVE LUCY COE BUT SHE’S OVER THE TOP & trying too hard

January 25, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    (9) Becki says:

This board is just as good as the show. Miss a couple of days, and you fall behind.

Thanks for the post Maria…you said of the OLTL characters “how they would be brought back with new names is beyond me”. I have a thought on that…

Believing in yet another miracle, Roger Howarth and Michael Easton want to stay at GH. John McBain could really be Caleb (this character belongs to GH/PC, right?) and Lucy could push him into a healing spring and he’s no longer a vampire. (I read on another board she’d done that before). I also read that there was also another character Easton played, some singer or something… maybe he comes back with Rick Springfield’s alter ego, whose name completely escapes me at the moment.

As far as Todd goes, on yesterday’s episode he was talking about faking D.I.D. Sorry to those who hate the storyline, but I want the actor. Let him “develop” another alter that didn’t exist on OLTL.

Could that work?

P.S. Annette, you ARE full of life! rock on babe!

January 25, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    (10) generalhospital says:

Hi Becki – yes, I picked up on that too – I guess he’d have to be a new alter and not one he played on OLTL because they probably own that character too – but I’m all for it. You have to figure he’d be faking and it would make it so funny. I just love Roger, and I don’t care if he has to disguise himself or take another name to get back on the show!

January 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm
    (11) Annette says:

That’s one of the reasons I don’t mind the vampire storyline. John could become Caleb and then bite Todd who becomes Thaddeus and Starr who becomes Obsidian. They all can live in harmony in PC because let’s face it, a few friends turned vamps aren’t as scary as Franco, Jerry Jacks, or a few Cassadines.

To me this is a big ol’ win ;)

(PS they can borrow from Michael and Starr’s Halloween costumes)

January 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm
    (12) Annette says:

@Becki

:x

January 26, 2013 at 11:13 pm
    (13) Annette says:

@Becki

Weird – That is supposed to be the kiss emoticon. It looks downright angry. Phones!!

xox

January 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm
    (14) Lisa says:

Vampires are so overdone these days. I hope they just forget about that and return to Robert and Robin’s storylines. I’d much rather see them than Connie or Starr. I don’t care much about Johnny, either. Like the actor but his character leaves much to be desired.

If I were Roger Howarth, Michael Easton and Kristin Alderson, I’d definitely stay with GH. Given Prospect Park’s shaky financial history, it’s better to stick with the larger audience, especially with all the great 50th anniversary storylines coming up.

So excited about Genie Francis, Kin Shriner and Jack Wagner coming back to be a grandpa! He and Maxie have unfinished business. If Emma Samms was on camera and reunited with Robert, I’d be even more thrilled.

We need to be thankful that Carlivati and Valentini saved this show from the scrap heap. I don’t complain about the writing because I’m so happy that the show has made it. Tony Geary, Maurice Benard, Jane Elliott and all the other amazing talent still have their jobs. Thank God!

January 28, 2013 at 7:55 pm
    (15) Peggy says:

Don’t like seeing Jason on another show. Such a shame he did not know Danny was his son

January 28, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    (16) ammiey says:

we’ll just have to see what happens..kick back & enjoy the show!!..& don’t forget the popcorn!!..lol

January 28, 2013 at 10:36 pm
    (17) alexalee23 says:

Thanks for the updates Maria! I totally understand all the changes, most of which are because the folks at the top are actually trying to keep our beloved soaps on the air. Call me crazy, but I kinda like all the changes and shakin’ things up a bit, I think it’s kind of exciting! I’m also thrilled that GH has not been cancelled and OLTL will be back. So RELAX people! We are very lucky to still have our soaps, enjoy them for the wacky, sweet, and crazy ride that they are. Take a deep breath, slowly EXHALE and have fun!

January 28, 2013 at 11:25 pm
    (18) mae says:

there will never be another jason but steve. i can see sam with john mcbain. sorry about chad i love him as michael

January 29, 2013 at 8:49 am
    (19) DIO says:

NO! NO! NO! Sam needs to be with Jason! They went thru too much only to have the writers “put her” or “try her” with other male characters, that’s disgusting & sick! They DESERVE their chance for happiness & I will never accept her with someone else!

January 29, 2013 at 10:10 am
    (20) carol says:

Please keep John

January 29, 2013 at 11:53 am
    (21) Jean says:

I hope they can work things out with the OLTL characters. They’ve brought new life to the show…But I hope they DONT bring back Kim Shriner. I never liked him…I am glad Erin will be back. It’s been so long.

January 29, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    (22) Joanne says:

We all know Prospect Park has their feathers raised, just bring the OLTL characters back with different names and from another city other then Landview, especially the doll that plays Todd, he is an awesome actor and a real asset to GH, would watch them no matter what name they used or what city they use, don’t understand the big deal, Prospect Park needs to get a life and move on!!!! Much less honor their commitment to GH and ABC.

January 31, 2013 at 8:40 pm
    (23) kathy says:

I HATE LUCY COE! Stupid nutty witch!!!! I hate your stupid vampire story line. If you continue with this stupid idiotic story We are going to quit watching. Whoever came up with idea should be fired!!!!!

February 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    (24) Judy says:

I think the powers that be brought in too many characters from One life to live. Keep open the place for “Jason” he may decide he needs money again and come back to GH where he belongs.

February 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    (25) generalhospital says:

I don’t think Steve Burton will be back as he undoubtedly is making good money on Young and the Restless right now.

February 2, 2013 at 12:42 pm
    (26) TLW says:

I hadn’t even considered the possibility of GH being able to keep Michael Eastman by making him “Caleb”. But, I have to say, I’m getting more and more worried about this whole vampire storyline situation. What appeared to be merely a little wink and nod to former PC fans is turning into a full-on fang-fest! There was a reason PC didn’t last all that long and why they kept the antics confined to PC and never crossed them over to GH—PC had fans, but nowhere NEAR the nunbers for our traditional soaps. And while PP may own the characters of Todd, John and Starr and NOT the actors themselves, as a major OLTL fan myself, I have to tell you that I couldn’t conceive of anyone else playing those characters. I was NEVER able to accept Trevor St. John as Todd. NO ONE can embody Todd like Roger Howarth because he is such a brilliant actor and has a special charisma and unique presence on screen. He knows Todd like no other actor can because he CREATED that character and turned him from a simple “day player” to a major force in soaps. Why can’t things ever happen in a way that we can be totally HAPPY about? Why must there always be more drama behind the scenes than in front of the camera? :::sigh:::