1. Entertainment

Maria Ciaccia

'General Hospital': Winter Doldrums

By January 28, 2013

General Hospital is gearing up for February sweeps and in so doing, is stalling a few story arcs and throwing in a few others.

As strong as the ratings have been, I really don't think the show can afford this lull.

What do I mean by lull? Well, here's one - Kristina going after Connie with a weapon.

Now, if it had been Starr going after Johnny, okay. I probably wouldn't find the scene necessary, but I would understand it.

However, I hate to tell the writers, no one cares about Kristina attacking Connie. Until Trey's accident, we hadn't seen Kristina or Trey, or Kristina and Trey, for what seems like months. We are simply not invested in this story. The attack seemed like what it was - a filler.

The ELQ fight: We have some interest in the ELQ fight, but this Tracy gets control, A.J. gets control, this one blackmails that one is nothing but a stall tactic for some big reveal about a Quartermaine heir.

Spinelli-Ellie-Maxie: Oh what a shock. Quelle surprise. Maxie again was interrupted when she was about to tell Spinelli about the baby. And how many more times are we going to have to go through this before either Britt blabs, blackmails Maxie, or some other plot device?

Emma disappears: We know Emma hates Britt and loves Sabrina. Sabrina comes upon Emma. What should happen in the next scene, to be shown tomorrow, is that Sabrina hits Patrick's number on her cell phone.

Isn't that what you would do? Would you think, seeing a small child sitting on a pier, that the parent knows where she is? Is that going to happen? I don't know. I hope so. Something tells me there will be a conversation first.

Patrick's angry with Britt. Is Emma going to tell him that Britt hates her guts? Will we have to wait two weeks for this? And why do we have this story arc anyway? Isn't Robin alive?

Just venting - this week, we have the continuation of the Lucy story with the return of Kevin Collins, and we're going to have a murder. So as February approaches, things will pick up.

Comments

January 28, 2013 at 7:15 pm
(1) Annette says:

It could all get really interesting if The Britch was murdered.

As far as the rest, yeah, I see your vents and raise you a ‘at least Epiphany has returned but why oh why wouldn’t anyone tell her about the nurses ball’ ugh

January 28, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(2) ammiey says:

as much as i wanted Robin to return, i would rather see Sabrina in the picture..:)

January 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm
(3) Darlin says:

I agree with everything you’ve both said. I was so happy to see Epiphany and loved that they actually had a little storyline with her. And I agree with all the vents above. I’ve been watching Kristina going at Connie while constantly wondering where this rage is coming from. I mean did she suddenly discover this great love with so much emotional depth? Was it when she was there for him while he slept in the church, one step from being homeless?

Trey was really a very good actor, so much so that the actor really tweaked my emotions when he found out Connie was his mother and even during the time when he was nearly homeless and delivering Xmas trees, those few snippets. I was really sorry to see him go but Kristina didn’t seem to remember her once upon a time husband of two minutes, had no concern, did nothing until they decided to get rid of the actor which I felt was an awful waste. Why not have brought back Joseph Scully’s twin and go from there? He had family there, connections.

And Robin! I nearly screamed at the tv when Robert all but recited the alphabet yet he couldn’t say the two most important words “Robin’s alive”! I almost started to stop watching after that. I’m annoyed with Patrick, hate Britt, loved Emma’s scenes with Britt though. That was so funny. But I have to mention that Sabrina’s cell phone was going off on the bar counter while she was discovering poor little Emma on the pier where no woman should walk alone much less a little child. Wouldn’t it be too easy for Emma just to relay her conversation with Brit, to tell the truth?

January 29, 2013 at 5:22 am
(4) Annette says:

Winter doldrum venting is fun…

Michael…has he been replaaced by a bot?
Where he was kind and loving and energetic just weeks ago he is flat, one dimensional, and boring in this Q mess.

The bar scene was good in the mixing up of different characters (loved Felix and Milo) but can’t believe our girl left her phone on the bar and then proceeded to walk through the docks as they are apparently the only way to get anywhere in PC unless you are driving on the road where Cole, Hope, Trey met their end. Not too far I expect from where Keiffer was run down by Alexis. Maybe that will be Kristina’s ticket to the Ferncliff defense.

January 29, 2013 at 11:27 am
(5) Joan715 says:

Gezzzzzzzzz Carly sure fell for Todd pretty fast.I guess she never loved Johnny she forgot him fast enough.
Maxie was in seminated with Dantes sperm. She fell on New Years Eve
& miscaried NYeve .Slept with Spinelli same night wouldnt she have bled from losing the baby . then a week later finds her pregnant from Spinelli. Things sure do happen fast. They turned Michael into a wimp.
Carly a sex crazed person. But I OH do love Milo !!!!! Give him and his
BRo a bigger part. They are throwing to many things at us to fast.
Writters calm down with throwing to many people and concentrate
a good story line.
Now that Steven Webber is going I hope they keep Olivia !!!!!

January 30, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(6) Reta says:

Can’t deal with irresponsible MAXIE storyline. She has yet to grow up and the writers trust her with a baby. Done with that.

As for Kristina, if we think about it all Sonny’s children are decent kids. I would love for Kristina to become the black sheep of the family. This actor has got it in her. I see her becoming the “MOB PRINCESS” for real as a result of all this. Would prove to be pretty interesting.

January 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(7) Annette says:

Reta – I was thinking the same thing last night as Kristina kind of shrugged off the idea of staying the night in jail. She seems to have embodied the ‘Mob Princess’ persona (after watching one too many takes on Trey’s computer) and it would be interesting if she became the heir for Sonny’s Mob business. I always thought it would be Molly and Morgan, but this Kristina is a tough chick – she could do it and Molly could be her Bernie. ;)

February 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm
(8) kim nester says:

I AM SO GLAD JOHN STAR, AND TODD ARE GOING BACK TO OLTL THATS WERE THEY BELONG SORRY GENERAL HOSPITAL FOR UR LOSS BUT THERE’S LOTS OF ACTORS AND ACTRESSES FROM AS THE WORLD TURNS AND GUIDING LIGHT WHO NEED A JOB SO TAKE SOME OF THEM!! SO GLAD JOHN WILL BE REUNITED WITH NATALIE. WHY NOT SEND CHAD TO PLAY COLE REMEMBER THEY NEVER FOUND A BODY HE WOULD MAKE A GREAT COLE THORNHART!!

February 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm
(9) generalhospital says:

Kimmie, I don’t think these actors will return to OLTL. If Prospect Park wants them, they will have to recast the characters.